Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flex wire or steel pushrod for elevator/rudder?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flex wire or steel pushrod for elevator/rudder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 12:55 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flex wire or steel pushrod for elevator/rudder?

I think I know what's best to use, but thought I would ask. I am building a pica T28 (1/6) and am installing the pushrods for the elevator and rudder. The kit has you make the pushrods out of wooden dowels with 6" 2-56 threaded rods on the ends. I never liked this way. I have it done this way on my astro hog, but that's it. Anyways, I was was considering using just steel 2-56 rods and running them through the outter plastic housing that comes with the flexible type pushrods. As long as these rods are supported every few inches (will be gluing to the formers), it should be ok, right? I was also considering using the flexible inner type pushrods, where you screw in the 3" or so threaded rods on the ends and put these through the outter plastic tubing, but this seems way too flexy, since the distance from where the elevator and pushrods exit the planes to the conrtol horn is about 4-5". So what do you guys do in a situation like this?
Old 02-25-2004, 01:26 PM
CafeenMan

Default RE: Flex wire or steel pushrod for elevator/rudder?

I would use carbon fiber tube with threaded rod glued in one end and the cut-off from a threaded rod with a solder clevis at the other. I don't like wood pushrods. NyRods work fine if you brace them correctly.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Kaos Rulz

DITTO!
Old 02-25-2004, 02:00 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

yeah, i think i have the golden rods, which I believe came with the carbon fiber innners. They are black and pretty flimsy. Is this what you are referring too? If so, aren't these pretty flimsy to be using? It's easy to brace them on the inside, but where it exits the plane is where it gets flexy and I thought steel pushrods would be best
Old 02-25-2004, 02:05 PM
CafeenMan

No, I was referring to plain carbon fiber tube. 3/16" diameter is fine for a .40 - .60 size plane. I haven't used the Golden Rods you're talking about. I was talking about the nylon inner/outer type. But what you're talking about would be fine too. Again, just brace them every 3" or so. All you need are pieces of 1/8" x 1/2" x fuselage width balsa. You might want to add a little tri-stock to keep them from popping loose unless the structure is a truss type and you can glue them to the front or back of the trusses.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:33 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Flex rods are fine for a plane that size, but don't let more than 1/2" of non-reinforced inner tube protrude form the outter sheath when extended.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91140.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	104929  
Old 02-25-2004, 02:39 PM
CafeenMan

MinnFlyer - Don't you want to be cool? Don't you want to be more attractive to the opposite sex? Don't you want fame and glory? All that and more can be yours. All you need to do is a few illustrations for my website.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:48 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Caffeen man,

I don't do this for just anybody, but seeing as how you are such a valued member of RCU, just PM me and let me know what you need
Old 02-25-2004, 03:53 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Caffeen man,

I don't do this for just anybody, but seeing as how you are such a valued member of RCU, just PM me and let me know what you need
I knew offering chicks would work. You will be hearing from me.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:55 PM
Azcat59

I frequently use the blue outer Nyrod, braced about every six inches, with steel wire running through it, with the threaded end on the wire at the control horn site. Put a very slight curve in the Nyrod so that the wire does not tend to rattle when the engine is idling.

Most of us here in the desert are against using the yellow inner portion of the Nyrod set because it expands or shrinks with temperature changes, resulting in a never-ending search for flight trim.

I don't know how MinnFlyer draws so good on the computer....I have tried different colored ink on my mouse's ball, and nothing good ever comes of it.....

Clair