Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

smoke pump hookup??

Old 04-30-2003, 09:43 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default smoke pump hookup??

I have a MK smoke pump I bought at Toledo show from Gator rc and dont know how to hook it up. I emailed them and never received an answer. there were no instructions except on the back of the package but its all in Japaneze.
There is only one lead with a plug coming from the unit, the kind you would plug into a receiver and then there is a lead with a pot, obviously for adjusting amount of fluid flow. Its suppose to be programable with throttle control...more throttle more fluid etc. My only problem is where do I plug in the lead? do I need a Y harness to plug the lead into the throttle channel and then a 4.8v batt? It would seem that the batt for rx and pump would have to be seperate or the rx would be getting 9.6v. Any smokepump users here? Thanks

Ron
Old 05-01-2003, 08:05 PM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wouldnt hook it up with my throttle. You want to hook it up so it is either on or off and not done so with the throttle. If you need to adjust the oil flow use a needle valve for that. I would say hook it up in the gear channel or either an extra channel in your radio. You got any pics of it?
Old 05-01-2003, 08:17 PM
tdwise

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Smoke Pump

I have a TME smoke pump that I have hooked into the gear switch (CH 5) and is either ON or OFF. Fluid flow is regulated with a simple thumb screw/pinch method on the feed line to the muffler and seems to work just fine. For safety reasons, I would definitely keep the smoke pump power source separate from the Rx battery. If the pump were to jamb or short out for some reason while in flight, you wouldn't want it to drain your Rx battery before you had a chance to land.

Ted
Old 05-02-2003, 01:22 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The MK site (http://www.singahobby.com/mkp04.html) says:

MK Smoke Pump is a new smoke system with adjustable smoke intensity (either through a separate channel or manually using an adjustable knob). It pumps fuel from the tank into the exhuast pipe.
So it sounds to me like one line goes to the battery, and one to an AUX channel (The one with the pot). IF you have a computer radio, you can set your RADIO to adjust the AUX channel with throttle.

At least that's how I read it.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:44 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default smoke pump

Thanks MinnFlyer...The problem I have is that there is only one lead coming from the pump and I dont know where to hook it up, plug it in, Y harness it etc. It dosen't seem likely that it would get its power from the rx batt....couldn't be a good thing, so I'm stumped...maybe I'll email SH and see if I can get instructions in english. Slimline has a new pump out (throttle regulated etc) for ONLY 150.00!! Thats why I thought I'd try this one for 35.00. Even if it didnt last a couple seasons, I could buy 4 of them for 150.00

Ron
Old 05-05-2003, 05:21 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm really not familiar with the Mk system, but I certainly wouldn't want my Rx battery powering my smoke pump.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default smoke pump

I hear ya...I did receive a response from Shobbys and instructions to download for pump hookup but they show one lead for the battery hookup and another to Y harness to the throttle channel or aux channel, (like ch5) if you just want on and off. But my pump just has one lead with a plug and one lead with a pot/knob for manual flow adjusting. I emailed Shobby back and explained the problem again soooo will wait and see what I get next.

Ron
Old 05-08-2003, 03:00 AM
Blackdog
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Slimline smoke pump

Is $150 if you buy it direct from Slimline, but at you LHS you can probably get it for $110. I am installing one in a Extra 300. It includes the pump, esc and 6v 600mah NIMH battery. I think a TME is about $85 without battery.

Sorry I don't have any input for your orginal post

Blackdog