Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Balance

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:09 AM
CB36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance

Hi all;
I have a Giant Super Sportster that needs ~ 6.2 oz to balance, (gas upfront). I have a 1900mh Rx battery pack that I'm thinking could help with this if I move it way aft.

My thought was to cut the covering on the bottom of the fuse, (lite ply - lots of holes), and epoxy a battery floor in. The battery will be held by two velcro straps and I'd cover the opening with a lite ply hatch covered with Monokote. I'll use an aile extension to get the power forward to the switch.

Is there any reason that this isn't a good idea? I'd probably only need minimal lead to achieve final balance.

Thanks!!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:47 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Balance

You got an excellent plan.

One suggestion. You want the weight back there, so have no qualms about building whatever structure you think suitable to spread the concentrated load that pack will be. Some structures would benefit from an extra brace or two supporting that battery.

Those lightening holes really are just semi-permanent hatches, aren't they. One of my models has had the same hole opened a couple of times. It's easier to iron on matching Ultracote than it is to build a hatch.

Great idea you got.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

I might recommend you go with a Heavy Duty extension to ease the electron flow over the extended length. The cost offset of HD over standard is very small considering the possible headaches and other ramifications that could come with too light of wiring.

Jon
Old 04-08-2008, 11:35 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In this case the airplane alternates between two 25's and as an aerotowed glider. The battery mount is used for CG control. It alternates between the very tip of the nose or back under the leading edge of the stab. The change is sometimes made several times in one flying session so I choose to use a screwed hatch door front and rear. Just monocoating over like da rock mentioned works fine also. I usually use lite sticks to fabricate a support for the battery and no floor per say on an installation like this.

This type of setup works just fine in balancing and as mentioned by Extreme Aerosport do make up you harness or extension out of heavier wire not the very tiny 26 gauge stuff. My total added wiring run is about three feet.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86382.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	925131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66568.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	925132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29806.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	925133  
Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 PM
CB36

Thanks everybody....sounds like the way to go.

If I should happen to need more weight, any suggestions as to how to secure it? I'd like to be able to add to the weights to change the CG. I'm setting it up initially per the manual. Probably I'll want to shift the CG back a tad in the future as I get used to the flight characteristics.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just be sure to add enough structure to keep the battery from becomming a battering ram as it could tear loose and move forward in a hard nose down landing and destroying everything in front of it.. It may require a substantial bit of structure.