Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fillister head screwdriver

Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default fillister head screwdriver

I have an OS FS-40S engine..It has some fillister head screws in it..wondering where I might find a source for fillister head screwdrivers.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:51 PM
red head

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: fillister head screwdriver

Try an auto parts store or catch one of the tool trucks that go to the garages. Snapon etc. Harbor freight might also have them. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 04-08-2008, 10:33 PM
ChuckW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Normally fillister head refers to the shape of the screw head, not the type of tool required. Generally a fillister head is similar to a round head screw with the outer edges chopped off and maybe a little taller. Almost a cylinder shape. It's generally slotted but you might find some that are phillips and maybe even torx. What is the shape of the drive area of the screw on your engine?

Regardless of what it is, I would just take the engine down to Sears, a hardware store, Wal-Mart, NAPA, Harbor Freight or wherever and try the different screwdrivers until you find a good fit.

Here's a site that shows various srcew head types: http://www.zerofast.com/screwh.htm
Old 04-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Villa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I read this yesterday and did not see the truth. ChuckW is absolutly correct. There is no such thing as a fillister head screw driver or tool. Where you really want to pay close attention is if it is an Allen socket head screw. The Allen wrench must fit very snug. Some are Metric and some are not. The correct one will have almost no slop. If it is not a snug fit you will damage the screw or the wrench.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Jburry

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yup, and the same can be said if it's a Posidrive type. Looks like Phillips, but thicker central hole, almost a cross between phillips and robertson (square). More of these are stripped by phillips drivers than you can shake a stick at. Correct fit is key.

J
Old 04-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The majority of the small parts used in the RC industry have screw heads that resemble a Phillips head, however, they are not and can easily be ruined by using a Phillips head driver on them. They are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) and you can get the proper screw driver at most hobby shops. It will pay you to get some, especially if you work on some of the small electical motors, servos etc.