Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lipo regulator

Old 04-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Gyri

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Lipo regulator

I have a dualsky regulator for on board (receiver and servo) use. This basically drops my lipo voltage and regulates it to 6v. It's capable of 3A continous and max 5A (maybe a short burst). My concern is the gauge of the wires used in the regulator are too thin. I noticed that few other regulators (from pictures on the net) appear to have thin wire gauges compared to the wires/connectors of servos (even the standard ones), switches and battery wires. I may be missing something basic here. Could someone highlight this for me? I need to pick up a few more regulators as I plan to use Lipo for all my planes. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Lipo regulator

Wire size determines how much current can be provided before the wires get hot. Small wires like 18-24 gauge limit the amperage that's available and limit how long the wires can be and still be effective.

You're using batteries that can provide burst amperage up to at least 10 amps, possibly 20 depending on the batteries, so the regulators you are using are severely limiting the amount of current that can reach the servos or other items. It's not just the wire size that determines what a regulator can do. Other components used in regulators are the primary reason that some regulators will provide more current than others, but wire size also plays a part.

The less expensive regulators typically under perform the better regulators by a large margin.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Gyri

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Lipo regulator

Thanks for that. My usage is typically for 4 high torque digitals (70 oz to 80 oz.in.). I don't use these lipo s for motor prop systems. So could you recommend a make or model of regulator that would suit my application?