Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

cheap 4 channel electric trainer?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

cheap 4 channel electric trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Veraster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap 4 channel electric trainer?

I have a Goldberg Eagle 63 inch trainer. I have fpv equipment. I would like to fly fpv. My fpv tx is 2.4GHz. It is NOT compatible with 2.4GHz anything. It completely jams anything and everything that has anything to do with 2.4GHz.I have a 72 MHz controller TX that does not support buddybox.

I can't learn to fly fpv at my club feild. Due to the AMA rule about buddybox. I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of 72MHz TX's that support buddy box just to have permission to fly it at my feild. That's wasteful. Mine works PERFECTLY.

I have a feild at my house. It's not as good as my club's feild but flying there is better than complying with AMA and buying a pair of transmitters just do I can fly fpv. I've flown there without problems by myself. The only thing is that several weeks ago I misjudged the distance between me and my plane and the trees farther out. I ran into a tree. This evergreen tree must of been at least 150 feet high. My plane was in the very top. It was either climb up there and go get it or abandon it and start over. The plane was stuck in there and moderatly damaged. So to make a long story short I went up there and fell halfway down. At least I came down with my airplane.

Anyway I messed up my airplane really really badly. It was on of these things where I had to repair it just to say I did. The servos and everything still worked which was amazing. I finally got it fixed and installed my fpv equipment. Once I got out there I was too shaky to go in a straight line so I gave up. I used to be confident and could fly and take off and land without much effort but when I tried it I was like "Now what will I do if it gets it the air??" because I didn't want to repeat what had happened previously. The way my airplane flys might even be different because I had to rebuild everything except the fuselage and some of the main wing.

So now I have to get comfortable flying all over again. I can do it i'm just not comfortable. So I need an inexpensive electric trainer (preferably a foam one) that doesn't go as fast as my 60 size trainer and isn't as intimidating. I need to be able to mount my fpv equipment on it to be able to practice with that. I can go fly at my club any time but I can't do fpv.

So what kind of trainer should I get?
Old 06-03-2012, 05:57 PM
huck1199

Default RE: cheap 4 channel electric trainer?

Multiplex Easy Star
Old 06-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Veraster

The easy star doesn't have ailerons. I need something with ailerons or it will be too different and probably not help that much.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:04 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Ok, understand I'm not flaming you here. But I am going to be honest with you for the purpose of seeing you be successful in the hobby.

First, you've proven well enough that your backyard is not an adequate flying facility. That was an expensive lesson, but it's money lost if you don't learn it.

Second, the AMA regulation for buddy boxing with FPV equipment is there for two very good reasons. It's easy to get lost up there and not be able to get yourself back which leads to crashes on property you have no authorization to fly over. And then there is the sensitive legal situation where the paranoid nuts, some of whom lobby congress, think that our equipment could be used to bomb distant targets. If you guy too far away from your flying site with FPV, that fear increases.

Third, what radio and FPV equipment are you using? No 2.4 stuff should interfere with each other, so it sounds like there's a problem with your gear.

And to wrap it up: It's been said many, many time here but apparently not enough. RC planes have to be taken seriously to be a safe and fun hobby. We don't need wreckless people in the hobby at all. That's who Xboxes and Playstations are made for. When you add FPV to the activity, that's a whole 'nother level of complexity you have to deal with. If you aren't willing to invest the dollars and time to get it right, then please don't do it at all.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:48 PM
huck1199

I easily cut ailerons in the wings and installed servos.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 PM
molokaiboy

I agree with jester and please take the proper steps to ensure you learn correctly and safely. I understand you do not wish to need to buy 2 tx to buddy box, but if you find s friend at the field with a compatible tx to yours that will work as a buzzy box system then you only need to buy the buddy box cord which is inexpensive. Plus you get added bonus of having an experienced pilot to help bail you outta trouble if it happens. AMA rules and regulations are intended to keep things safe for everyone. They also help us in the hobby to continue doing what we love. Please take all precautionary measures to ensure a safe flight.

Just my 2 cents

Aloha,

Les
Old 06-03-2012, 10:29 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is indeed a classic case of putting the Cart before the Horse!

You wanna fly FPV fine, do it right.

With that airplane (your forty sized trainer) forget all the FPV toys. Learn to fly the airplane first, thats the bottom line. This learning curve is always steeper than what everyone thinks. If you keep distracting yourself from the task at hand (learning to fly) with all these FPV toys and you refuse to get experianced help and training then your personal field is likely to have many wreaks strewn throughout the trees before you are through.

This even includes electrics, Thats a Fact. Learn to fly first & get help!

John