Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cleaning muffler??

Old 04-12-2008, 10:51 PM
gregziemba

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cleaning muffler??

What can I use to clean off tarnish on my four stroke muffler? Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Jburry

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Cleaning muffler??

The most effective way to clean old engine bits is to get an old slow-cooker (not the wife''s), and fill it with ethylene glycol (engine coolant). Be sure all parts are thoroughly submerged to avoid discoloration. Cook on low for a few hours and it''ll look brand new. Be absolutely sure to do this outside, and never use that cooker for food again (glycol is nasty stuff!). At least the things are relatively cheap.

I''d not hesitate to use this method on engine cases, carb bodies and mufflers, but would avoid it on precision internal bits (cranks, valves, cams, pistons, cylinder liners). I don''t know that it''s bad for the internals, but I don''t know that it won''t hurt them anyway.

That said, 4 stroke mufflers run hot enough that this will only be a temporary fix. It''ll burn back to brownish-black pretty quick.

J
Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 PM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dawn Power Dissolver

It''s a new product that appears to work according to a bunch of posts around these RCU forums. It''s in the grocery stores around here in the Cleaning Products.

Almost as cheap was a crock pot. $8 for a brand new one at Target. I already had enough anti-freeze.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:06 PM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jburry

I''''d not hesitate to use this method on engine cases, carb bodies and mufflers, but would avoid it on precision internal bits (cranks, valves, cams, pistons, cylinder liners). I don''''t know that it''''s bad for the internals, but I don''''t know that it won''''t hurt them anyway.
AntiFreeze is made to be in contact with all the metals that are in our internal bits. It''s actually supposed to clean the corrosion etc. off those bits. No worries mate.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:36 PM
speed lover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What I do is much simpler just boil you kettle pour the hot water on this expands the metal and softens the varnish then get a tooth brush and soap powder pour some soap powder on it then scrub it. it does work just a bit of work. After scrub pour boiling water over it then repeat if needed.