Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Foam Wings - Lightweight Covering

Old 05-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Kuklish

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Foam Wings - Lightweight Covering

I want to sheet my foam wings with something before covering with Ultracote, so that they look extra nice and not all "foamy".

I am thinking of using brown packing paper and aliphatic resin. What do you all think? I got some balsa skins... but they seem so heavy, and the plane is heavy enough already!

(don't laugh now...its a DuraStick! and I'm trying to make it as light as possible.)
Old 05-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Copy-Dex and 1/16th balsa/or Obdeci works for me, cutting out sections giving a built up wing also works, theres a UK funfly that has two versions of its wings, foam ( sections removed ) and the very very slightly lighter balsa one.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:48 AM
Giant Scale

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would core the wing(remove as much foam as possible) and then sheet with 1/16" contest balsa.
Then cover with ultracote. This should save several ounces from the wing. You could also replace the landing gear with CF gear and use lightweight wheels.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:17 PM
miner60

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the Durastick wing is like mine, it is already cored.

You can also use 1/32" sheeting. That would be half the weight of the 1/16" sheeting.

I have just converted mine Durastick to a taildragger which saved 0.25 pounds.

My plane weighs 5.5 pounds, 4.2 in the fuse and 1.3 in the stock Monokoted wing.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:38 PM
Kuklish

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Minor.... (and everyone else too)

So how did your wing turn out looking? Does it seem durable with just foam and ultracoat?

I also am converting mine to a taildrager and am really looking forward to flying it. I've done a couple mods so far, replacing the receiver wire with a whip antenna (looks like a drone now), and a heavier duty firewall.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:18 PM
miner60

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Durastick flies very well. I first flew the stock airplane with an OS 40. I thought it needed a kick and I had an old Super Tiger 51 sitting around so I threw that on the plane. I flew the stock airplane with the 51 for about a year.

I have just completed the tail dragger conversion and the doubling of the size of the elevator and rudder. This added the kick I was looking for. It is now a great aerobatic airplane. The tailboom doesn't quite have the strength to get to carried away with the aerobatics but it's good for practice.

I don't think the wing looks too bad without sheeting. It is also plenty strong. I have done inside and outside snaps and loops and lots of other +/- g maneuvers with no problems. I am actually more concerned about the tail boom than the wing.