Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting and hinging

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting and hinging

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:26 PM
reincarnate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting and hinging

Is there any reason that hinges (both CA and Robart) cannot be installed before painting? I''d like to have all the surfaces installed, glued and sealed before the paint goes on for a more seamless install. The airframe and surfaces are built up balsa and glass.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:34 PM
flipstart

Default RE: Painting and hinging

I have done it both ways-it almost depends on the color scheme and type airplane. If its possible to get a good primer/paint job with them installed -then it makes for a nicer looking paint job- the control surface hinge areas are sometimes difficult to paint properly and the paint scheme may make it more difficult to paint while the surfaces are attached. And on some paint schemes its easier to get the patterns lined up with surfaces attached prior to painting. Take a look at your plane and decide which might work the best-or post a pic of plane and you will get some opinions-then decide.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:49 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you do if the paint gets into the hinge joints and dries? I had this happen once. I had to cut them and re-do.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I always put vaseline on the hinges before installing them (only on the moving part of course). That way if anything gets in them it wont stick.