Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Transmitter battery

Old 04-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Clay Walters

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Transmitter battery

When I purchased my radio I knew it was coming with a 600amp hr NICD and no receiver battery so I ordered one. While shopping I saw the much longer life NIMH batteries so I picked up a couple to go with my receivers as well as one for the transmitter.

However, the manufacturer advised that if anything happened to the radio and I had a battery from any other source than one of their batteries, the warranty would be nullified.

So I haven't used it yet. But I sure wish to. My TX battery gets too low way before the receiver does and I feel handcuffed to the smaller less capable battery while in the warranty period.

What do most folks do risk it?

Thanks,

Clay
Old 04-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Transmitter battery

Use the NIMH until you have to send the radio in for service. Then charge the Mfgrs battery and put it into the transmitter.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:14 PM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What brand radio?

Some of then have fuses that'll pop if you try to charge at too high a rate. Which is what a lot of automatic chargers do when they see say a 1500mAh in the RX, and the RX is fused for a 600mAh rate.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:53 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Clay Walters

What do most folks do risk it?
Transmitters fail so rarely that I never really think about the warranty. My brother put a 1650mah nimh pack into a Futaba 9C the day it came out of the box. As John pointed out, put the stock battery in before sending the unit for service.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:49 PM
alfredbmor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Capacity of batteries will not harm in any way your radio, but voltage should be the same. No problem if they are NIMH or NICD, the problem comes when you have to charge the batteries and feel tempted to use a fast charger unit, that will possible blow the fuse (for the best) or ruin your radio (for the worst), that is why the manufacturer (obviously) calls for a brand battery. I do use a fast charger and my stock batteries I charge batteries overnight with my jr stock charger and when I am at the field and I feel like I wish to have some more flights then I use the fast charger.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Clay Walters

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the fast responses guys. When I purchased the batteries I went on and added a charger that could be set for the #of cells that is supposed to be "auto sensing". It even has a discharge function but they advised to not cycle the batteries more than a couple of times a year at most and they also recommended I not charge the TX battery with the charger that came with the radio. Didn't say why but maybe yall have explained that now. Sure would be nice if it were safe to do so because now I can have one charge on the ni-starter, one on the flight box, and separate TX & RX charging too. I feel like a small sub-station everytime I hook it all up so I can fly the next afternoon.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:37 PM
alfredbmor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I soldered an additional servo lead to my TX Battery wires for charging purposes. My radio is not under any warranty by now but I still did it when it was. I usually take the battery out of the radio for a fast charging (I just do not want to mess any circuit). Despite the fact that my radio battery gives me enough time to fly 6 times (10 min. each flight) a day with a single overnight charge.