Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Pawnee 40

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hanger 9 Pawnee 40

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:32 PM
gtnkick
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Pawnee 40

I recently purchased the new Hanger 9 Pawnee 40. It recommended the Saito 82, I have plane all put together and balancing it is a bit of a prob. Battery placed back as far as possible in the fuse. When setting plane on the Great Planes balancer it still is looking for 5ozs of weight on the tail. Does anyone have a better idea/
Old 04-17-2008, 07:54 PM
fozjared

Default RE: Hanger 9 Pawnee 40

any way to fit a shorter engine mount on that plane?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:00 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This seems to be common on the Pawnee. There is a thread on the plane in the ARF forum. On mine, I removed some covering from the bottom of the fuse and installed a second receiver battery toward the tail along with a second switch under the hatch. Once I laid down a new piece of Ultracoat, you'd never know I did anything. The second battery not only corrected the CG, it also gave me a redundant power source and switch if. If one were to ever fail, there is a back-up, not to mention the increased mAh capacity (i.e.: more flights before recharging). The plane has such a big, flat wing that it doesn't really notice the extra weight.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:02 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: fozjared

any way to fit a shorter engine mount on that plane?
4-strokes usually have the carb and intake tube on the rear of the cylinder so you can't always move them closer to the firewall. Also, the Pawnee has a cowl so you need clearance for the spinner.

Here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30451.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	931644  
Old 04-18-2008, 01:38 PM
gtnkick
My Feedback: (7)

Will try your suggestions and thanks. Approx. how much weight was added to the tail/
Old 04-19-2008, 04:52 PM
ChuckW

I used a 1100mAh battery that I think weighed around 4.1 ounces. There is plenty of room in the rear of the fuselage. I made a light ply bracket that glued in between the fuse sides and braced it with some tri-stock. Then I just wrapped the battery in foam and zip tied it to the bracket. A couple spare servo extensions gave me enough wire length to mount the second switch under the hatch.