Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

MonoKoting on Fiberglass Cowls

Old 04-24-2008, 07:59 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default MonoKoting on Fiberglass Cowls

I am considering getting an aftermarket Flush Mounted Cowl from 'Spychalla Aircraft' for the 'Ready To Cover Version TF GS P-51 ARF' that I am buildingl I plan on covering the plane with MonoKote, as I have no experience to attempt Glassing and Painting, I can certainly spray paint the cowl with the matching color, but there is always the chance of a variation in color and appearance however, this cowl can be flush mounted with the joint filled and sanded so no transition is visiable, is it possible to monokote the cowl, will it adhere, and what do you need to do to be successful or at least overlap the joint with monokote onto the fiber glass cowl say 1/2" if the paint and monokote are a perfect match?

Thanks, Doug.
Attached Images   
Old 04-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Mark in Michigan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: MonoKoting on Fiberglass Cowls

I have adhered some Monokote to fiberglass cowls, but never an entire cowl. The heat does distort it, you have to be very careful. And you will need heat becasue of the curves of the cowl. I would not attempt an entire cowl if it was me.

If you are going to use the Aluminum Monokote & matching paint, the color match is pretty close, but the sheen is off a bit. I just did this on a Meister Mustang.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 AM
dasintex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mark

Thanks for the reply I have to agree with you on not doing the entire cowl, my scheme will be aluminum color as in the picture, and you indicated the MonoKote paint and covering are a good match my thought was to spray paint the cowl and monokote over the transition joint that will be filled and sanded the exception will be the flat black anti glare panel on the top of the cowl leading up to the canopy which I would like to do entirely in monokote, I'm thinking that I may be able to get away with it and accomplish this because it is less complex, without a bunch of curves, etc and I suppose if it doesn't work out I can remove the flat black monokote from the cowl section and spray paint it latter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99685.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	935940  
Old 04-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Using an automotive spray primer on a cowl lets covering materials bond to the paint at relatively low temperature settings. I've done entire cowls this way. Think about how a primer color will effect the end shade of your covering. Example black under a gold covering makes the gold much darker, where white makes it a bit brighter.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:36 AM
dasintex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pat

Thanks for the reply in your experience with MonoKoting entire cowls, how does the heat from the engine affect the covering? does it lift, wrinkle, distort, etc,? Also, were the Cowls that you covered in MonoKote complex or simple, in my example of a P-51 which has some complex curves and openings, compared to a tub type cowl of a Yak I think I will see how close the paint matches the MonoKote and decide then but I think I will go ahead with the Flat Black Monokoting of the Anti-Glare Portion on Fuse and Cowl.

Doug.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:27 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have read several times about spraying Aquanet on balsa to aid in Monokote/Ultracote adhering better. I believe Aquanet is basically clear lacquer and probably would not attach a fiberglass cowl. A plastic cowl would probably be softened or distorted by it, however. So, if that cowl you are considering is fiberglass, perhaps a coat of Aquanet on it would help the covering adhere and maybe even reduce the amount of heat required to get it to stick tight.

I think I would try that on some scrap fiberglass before I subjected a new cowl to it, however.[8D]
Old 04-24-2008, 11:21 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Black Baron Presto is peel and stick, and with a little heat you can make it go around compound curves, somewhat. Sticks to fiberglass better than Monokote.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:42 AM
jetmech05

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What happens if you have to remove the cowl for maintenance like adjusting the low end?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 AM
jetmech05

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What happens if you have to remove the cowl for maintenance like adjusting the low end?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:03 AM
dasintex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Cowl has a lower hatch or half that removes.
Attached Images   
Old 04-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Mark in Michigan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"....the exception will be the flat black anti glare panel on the top of the cowl leading up to the canopy which I would like to do entirely in monokote, I'm thinking that I may be able to get away with it and accomplish this because it is less complex, without a bunch of curves..."

I did the same exact thing. My color scheme has that panel blue with some white/black stripes next to it. I first painted the entire cowl with primer & aluminum paint, then painted a yellow ring behind the spinner and last added the monokote. It kinds of melts the paint, which acts like a glue I think. I didn't have any problems with that area due to the fairly flat design there.