Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

help on a fox eagle .74 engine

Old 04-25-2008, 08:58 AM
joey wiz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default help on a fox eagle .74 engine

I purchased a .74 fox eagle engine from a show in perry s.c. I can not get the engine to idle at all. It will start, and run for maybe 10 seconds, then shuts off and will not start again. I could use any help anyone can offer! Thanx.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:37 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: help on a fox eagle .74 engine

My advice to you regarding the Fox .74, is to tie it to your fishing line and use it as a sinker. They are completely gutless worthless pieces of junk.

Other than that, what is it doing before it quits? Is it stumbling on the rich side, or is it slowly leaning out and dying smoothly?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 AM
joey wiz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have considered that!! It seems like it looses fuel, but i can't tell, it is definetly not a smooth stop though. It just quits. Runs great, then stops instantly, like something choked it out.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:13 AM
firstplaceaviator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is the engine in a plane, or on a stand? If the fuel tank is too high, the Fox will die rich. The fuel actually siphons into the carb and kills the engine.

Too low, and the Fox will die lean.

First, check the idle air bleed and make sure that it is clear. Set it at 1 1/2 turn out.

Second, check the main needle and jet. Make sure there aren't any burrs in there. Mine had a bur on the main needle that gouged the jet. I had to replace both. Fox exchanged them free of charge. Set the needle at 2 1/2 turns out.

Third, Replace the glow plug with a Fox Standard Long plug. Fire it up and see what happens.

Watch for bubbles in the fuel line going to the carb. If there are any bubbles, or the flow just stops, replace all you fuel lines. Even an invisible pin hole will reek havoc.

Start the engine and slowly advance the throttle to full. Set you needle for max RPM , then richen it 1/8 of a turn. It should at least stay running now.

If it stops suddenly at idle, turn the air bleed screw out 1/4 turn at a time and start it again. Repeat until the idle is smooth.]

If all of the above fail, then follow my first suggestion. My Fox .74 was replaced with a thoroughly worn out ASP .91, that still had twice the power of the Fox!

That being said, I am actually a Fox fan. THe 74 is the only Fox that I never liked. The rest of them have been very good engines for me.[8D]
Old 04-25-2008, 10:20 AM
joey wiz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I appreciate all your information! Youve been a great help. I have the engine installed on my brand new hangar 9 p-40(60 size) and dont want a low power engine on it. I will prolly just get the tower hobbies .75 I was thinking of buying anyway and trash this motor! Again, thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:31 AM
firstplaceaviator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the engine installed on my brand new hangar 9 p-40
I wouldn't trust the .74 to fly that plane. It isn't worth the risk! I don't think i would go for the Tower .75 either. Slap a .91 in it. Then you will have that "little extra" to get you out of a bad situation.[)] Good luck and let us know how that P-40 flies!
Doug
Old 04-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats actually a fantastic engine. First a lot of Fox owners run all castor fuel so the fuel may have congealed in the carb pluging up the idle circuit. I would remove the carb and let it soak in some denatured alcohol over night then run a very small wire through the idle bleed port before trying it again. Also no more than 5% nitro fuel, any more and it will overheat. Some of the Fox carbs are adjusted backwards from others, some not. I would download a manual from Fox. I would also do some research on the glow engine forum. Lots of peope love this engine once they know how to adjust it. I have an old Fox .50 that is just fantastic!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 PM
firstplaceaviator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats actually a fantastic engine.
Compared to what? Maybe there are some good ones. But, The .74 that I owned was a useless piece of junk. It would only spin a 12x7 at 11,300 RPM with Coolpower 10% and overheats with any larger prop. My Fox .60 Eagle III, which I purchased in1983 is still running strong... It spins a 12x7 at 12,700 RPM on the same fuel!

Fox .74 = Fishing line sinker
Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It would only spin a 12x7 at 11,300 RPM with Coolpower 10% and overheats with any larger prop.
I understand that it really needs 0% nitro but will run ok with 5%. I have a Fox .50 and it runs hot with 10% in the summer, runs fine on 5% all year round. Same with an old ASP redhead. There are some head button mods to allow it to run on higher nitro. But just lowering the nitro content should get it close to the Eagle III numbers. You might do a search on a engine showdown of 6 .61 engines on the MAN website. The Fox won the battle but they had to run 5% fuel and a Fox plug to get it to run right.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:17 PM
joey wiz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All of you have been a great help, appreciate it!!
Old 04-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sport Pilot has it right. Using the proper fuel and following the instructions that come with the engine, this is a very powerful (for it's weight) and sweet running engine. Use low nitro (5% or less fuel) with castor (20%/22%) and follow Fox's instruction on throttle adjustment and you will have a very nice running engine .
Old 04-25-2008, 03:39 PM
firstplaceaviator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I understand that it really needs 0% nitro but will run ok with 5%. I have a Fox .50 and it runs hot with 10% in the summer, runs fine on 5% all year round. Same with an old ASP redhead.
Actually, an ASP .91 Redhead is exactly what I replaced the .74 with! I fussed with that Fox for an entire season. Being very familiar with most Fox engines, I was sorely disappointed with the .74. When I initially started it, the engine would go rich and die. That is when I found the defective needle valve and body. One call to Fox, and they sent one to me. Great! Now I could get it to run and stay running. But, I couldn't get any power out of it.[&o]

I tried 0% nitro fuel (I was running it in an ST2000), that didn't help. I tried adding castor to the already castor blended 10% fuel, that didn't help. I tried different props, that didn't help. I tried adding shims under the head. That didn't do it. I tried every conceivable needle setting. My Fox .74 would not run worth a crap. I literally "fixed it" with a 5 Lb. sledge hammer.[:@]

The ASP Red Head .91 ran hot on it's first flight. One extra head shim, and it was running like a champ. That engine probably has over a thousand flights on it now, and still runs very well. I really should replace the bearings in it. But, I'll just run it till it pukes and pitch it. It has had a great life.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:52 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have one , ohhh no!!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a site to help with some of the Fox engines. That one has had problems with the Carb, though recent buyers have had good luck wht that engine.

http://web.archive.org/web/200612050...solutions.com/
Old 04-28-2008, 02:08 PM
firstplaceaviator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fliteline Solutions
The Eagle IV series included the introduction of a .74 sized version. Both the .60 and .74 were once offered with ringed and ABC options. The .60 still is, but the .74 is now only available with a ring due to significant running and durability problems with the ABC version.
I'm impressed No wonder Fox is not a major player anymore... Shame on you Fox!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No wonder Fox is not a major player anymore... Shame on you Fox!
Actually they are a major player! Still popular in C/L and even R/C in some regions.

Most of that article is about how to reduce compression, so that you can use higher nitro fuel. Thats not really poor design or quality control, as they run well on 0% nitro fuel. I understand the carb problem is resolved. Also Fox has excellent service and will fix most problems, though you may have to let them know that the carb runs lean in midrange, or whatever the problem. The .60 version won the .60 MAN shoot out about 8 year's ago. Most of the problem engines were built a few years after Duke Fox's death. Charles Thacker and Dukes son have brought the quality back up. Yes they still look crude, but run very well!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:55 PM
firstplaceaviator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually they are a major player! Still popular in C/L and even R/C in some regions.
After Dukes death, Fox nearly went by the wayside. I travel all over the country, and I barely see Fox engines at the flying fields. U/C is barely alive... There is only one U/C field within 40 miles of me. There are nine R/C fields within the same 40 miles. If Fox wants to be a major player, they need to mass produce affordable engines. Otherwise, they will never again be a major player. I still fly R/C and U/C. Most of my ukies are Fox powered. Fox makes great engines. But, nobody but Fox sells them. I'm not delusional about them being a major player. They are far from it... They are a specialty company today. Fox Engines are outrageously expensive compared to the major players.

an OS .61 costs about $150.00, a Fox .61 costs nearly $250.00

A Fuji 50cc costs about $280.00, A Fox 2.4 costs $475.00

Are they good engines? Absolutely! Are they worth the cost? Obviously, not to most modelers. After my experience with the .74, I'm not going to spend that much on one of there engines again.[8D]
Old 04-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Fox .74 and it never had a problem running. It ran great, in fact. And it ran under "severe duty" conditions. I did use a Perry oscillating pump on it. Don't know if that made a difference or not because I ran the engine from the first time to the last time with it hooked up. It also had a super long intake tube and air filter. And a very long exhaust pipe extension tube. Because it is in a hovercraft. Sucking up clouds of dirt through the prop. Never caused me any grief.

I plan to restore this one someday soon. I built it in 1990.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If Fox wants to be a major player, they need to mass produce affordable engines.
They do, you were quoting the full retail price. You can get them for as much as 40% off, and if you care to trade in an old Fox they will give you 50% off sraight from Fox.

The do suffer from those who got burned during periods of low quality control. Also there are those who will bash these engines just because they didn't like Duke Fox.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What fuel and plug do you use Kmot?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 AM
firstplaceaviator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They do, you were quoting the full retail price. You can get them for as much as 40% off
Where? I would definitely buy a couple new ones at 40% Off retail.

if you care to trade in an old Fox they will give you 50% off sraight from Fox.
Why would I want to trade in a perfectly good Fox? Now, if my .74 was still around, I would trade it in in a heart beat! Too bad I turned it into scrap metal
Do they accept other brands for trade in?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think Brodak sells them for 35 to 45% off. If you call Fox Manufacturing they may give you a discount as well. They used to advertise 40% discounts from time to time, but I think they took that off their web site. Check out the Brodak site, they have grown, the CL hobby has grown a bit in recent years.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sport Pilot: I do not remember what plug was used. I suppose I could pull it out and see if it has a makers mark on it. As for fuel, well I still have the old cans and jugs of fuel from the last time I ran this thing in about 1991 and so it was either of these:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93523.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	939768  
Old 09-05-2010, 07:20 PM
RCfred_68

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a fox .74, and I have spent lots of time on it, but I was never successful. I was referred to the flight line solutions website, and I made the recommended carb modifications, had a new head button made, converted to a perry carb, tried the fox fuel with castor oil and tried various props. It always ran like a sick dog with the worst case of fleas. It stalled in mid-air, sagged off and ran very hot and overheated, even when it was rich. I also tried a new fuel tank, but at some point I decided I was wasting too many nice weekends, so I bought a Lee custom K&B .61. It is a great engine, is easy to adjust and has great power, so the Fox sits in the workshop, collecting dust. I had a fox .40 deluxe and that motor ran fine, so I always wondered why I could not get that .74 to run. I eventually sent it back to them and they re-built it for free. I tried it again, and it still ran lousy, so I do not know where to go with it at this point.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:27 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

www.foxmanufacturing.com Their discounted prices are listed on the website. They also mention the discount for trade in somewhere on the website.

If you order from Fox you shoud ask them to chek stock before you place your order. Some of their engines are out of stock and it can take a long time for Fox to fill your order if the engine that you want is out of stock.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service