Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

TF F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 05:50 AM
max911
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF F4U Corsair

Which engine should i get for this plane? Should i go for 4 stroke?
Thnx for replies
Old 05-04-2003, 11:42 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TF F4U Corsair

I suggest you try a search here at RCUniverse, this question has been asked before and had many replies.
4 strokes are a matter of personal prefference, either you have the bucks and prefer them or you don't. I do prefer them, especially the Saito line and YS .63. Which engine size you choose depends on a lot of things: the biggest being how much you think your's will weigh when completed. There is a wide weight range on these Corsairs, I have seen several in the 12+ lb range, while others build light (to fly right) and have them coming in under 9 lbs. The 3 lb difference makes a hugh difference in your power requirements. Another factor is weather: if you live in the south and fly mostly in 90 deg or above temps, a bigger engine is needed, wheresas if you fly when temps are usually 80s or below, less power. Lastly is how you intend to fly it. If you want unlimited vertical performance, then bigger is better. If on the other hand, you intend to fly in a scale like manner, then smaller the better. Smaller engines fit inside cowls better, weigh less, and are less likely to cause the dreaded torque roll on take off that is encountered by many who don't realize that full power is NOT needed for takeoffs, and that the plane should not be horsed into the air before it is ready to fly.
See my Saito .72 powered, Robart retract equipped, 8 lb 10 oz TF Corsair by clicking on the gallery button in this message.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:49 PM
max911
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF F4U Corsair

Your plane looks awesome!!
Was it hard to fit Saito .72 inside the cowl?
Did u have any problems with Robarts retracts so far?
Do you use bellcrank or 2 servos for aileron?
Which servos did u use for flaps?

Uhh... so many questions Im not that experienced
Regards
Old 05-04-2003, 02:12 PM
CorsairJock

Default TF F4U Corsair

I will post more pics later in the day, showing the Saito .72GK installation. The valve covers are about flush with the cowl. Thus, they are visable (and easy to adjust valves), yet do not protrude.
The Robart retracts are also covered in other discussions. Basically, make sure all set screws are TIGHT. Grind flat spots where there set against, but don't over do it. The "links" as Robart refers to them as, are very suseptable to damage on less than good landings, and are expensive to replace ($6.50 each, 4 on a 2 gear set). Mine has 1 aileron servo, 2 for flaps. I think it is better to do it the other way around: have one hi torq servo for flaps, 2 wing monted servos for ailerons. The 2 servo aileron setup is much easier to install and maintain, and I doubt that it adds any more weight as the bellcranks and control rods in the single servo setup certainly have some weight. I think the single flap servo adds a degree of safety. weighs less, and costs less (Balsa Products sell a 100 oz/ in standard size servo for about $12).
Old 05-05-2003, 12:58 PM
CorsairJock

Default Gallery Updated

2 more pics have been added to my gallery, one of them shows closeup/ frontal view of Saito .72GK installation.
I forgot to thank you for the compliment on the looks of this aircraft, so Thank You! I encourage anyone building this kit to at least purchase a $10 Squadron/ Signal Corsair booklet and do some research. It is fairly easy to come up with a very scale/ accurate scheme, such as the one on mine. Mine is patterned aftey a U.S.S. Bunker Hill based F4U-1D, which was piloted by Navy ace Lt Cdr Roger R Hedrick during 1945.