Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Have a question about spectrum

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Have a question about spectrum

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:18 AM
giffordbilt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a question about spectrum

I just bought a spectrum DX6 and what I didn't realize was it is for park flyers and helicopters. I thought I was purchasing a regular spectrum with servos and receiver. It says for electrics and I wasn't told that when I bought it here off RCU, so I want to use it on a gas trainer, can I? It works perfectly but my question is what is the range of a park flyer? why can I not use it in a gas trainer if I keep it within its range. Who knows how far one of these radios range is? I guess I learned a newbie lesson but I am man enough to accept the mistake and try to make the best of it. It has four micro servos with it and two receivers. If I have to I will buy me a little park afr and put it in it. I really think it would work in my gas but I want your thoughts on this issue.

jg
Old 04-24-2008, 08:22 AM
flyinsolo11

Default RE: Have a question about spectrum

Gifford,

I was about to use my DX6 for full range activities, but I broke the Tx. I used this opportunity to go ahead and upgrade to the DX6I.

Before I did however, I asked this same question on here. Someone replied that a bunch of people in his club, including himself use the DX6 for full range and do not have problems.

Your plane though. You can give it a shot and tell us how it goes lol

If you can please post if you do try it, I am curious, as I am sure are others.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a guy at one of our float flies try this. He had range problems and never got off the water.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:39 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Its not that the transmitter has less range than any other 2.4 system.

The problem is with the single reciever setup. You can only bind the DX6 to the single reciever units. In larger models if that reciever gets shadowed you can/will loose signal. You really shouldn't fly anything other than park flyers with that system, to do otherwise, against the manufacturer reccomendations is really irresponsible if you ask me.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Mttvannest

I agree,
You have been warned by Spkm. If something would go wrong and someone got hurt it would be completely your fault. Not worth the risk!
Just my thoughs. If you want to get into 2.4 get on spkm's web site and check out the buy one get one deal on recievers for full range aircraft.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:24 PM
giffordbilt

Yeah I been warned by spectrum and I also been warned about eating too many cheeseburgers and that driving under the speed limit saves gas. You guys talk like you never take any risk, You all take risk when you put your plane or copter in the air so don't play this your are irresponsible. I got an irresponsible 10 acre field with a couple of pine trees I might kill by flying this little trainer with that system. Don't go calling someone irrespondsible till you know who and what their application is.

Now if anyone else wants to tell me their opinion on the reception of this unit, please feel free to do so because that is why I ask in the first place.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Live Wire

Most park flyer's are good for about 900 Ft That give you Approxamatly 1800 Ft to play with safely. After that you are on your own[:@]
Old 04-24-2008, 08:49 PM
giffordbilt

Thanks, thats what I was needing to know. I do appreciate you and some of the other fellows advise. Thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Live Wire

And it should answer your question about Heli's I don't think any one fly's a Heli that far out[)]
Old 04-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Mttvannest

giff,
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to push any buttons. I like to be as sure as i can be that i will have full control of my models. If you feel you'll have a good link and good range then it's your call. I didn't realize you had a safe remote place to fly. We're all hear to have fun and be safe doing it. Best of luck and happy flying!
Matt
Old 04-25-2008, 08:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You guys talk like you never take any risk, You all take risk when you put your plane or copter in the air so don't play this your are irresponsible
I suppose I should have said "it would be irresponsible flying in this configuration at a busy flying site with innocent bystanders"

If its between you and the cows, have at it. You asked if it was a good idea, we told you no. Good luck with your new plane.

As for risk taking, well you may have a point. Afterall, I used to run into burning buildings when most people were busy running out
Old 04-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I flew electric 40 size Twist 3D and 40 size Pulse XT with the DX6 with no problems before I bought the DX7. Needed more model memory and programming. Still have the 6 and wouldn't part with it.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:49 PM
giffordbilt

And you used the small receiver right? So do you have to stick to electric or can you run gas with one
Old 04-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Flypaper 2

Yep, using the AR 6000 rcvr that came with it. Worked so good I bought 6 more.They do work better than the later 6100 rcvr. Using them with the DX7 trans. too. Shouldn't make any difference with the mass of metal up front, whether it's a glow or electric motor. Buddy flies a Florio with an OS 46 FX with no problems.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:24 AM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

Yes it is irresponsible and I'm not going to sugar coat this. Park flying equipment have a general flyin range of 600 ft. Sell it the someone else thats wants it for small elec. Do more investigating next time. So what if your out in the toolies. If you lose control your plane it can fly on for miles. It would be my luck to go down in a school yard or church picnic. I'm sure if the million to one chance you killed someone a good defense would be
THE OTHER GUYS ON RCU TOLD ME I COULD !!!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:33 AM
Flypaper 2

Here's the range of the DX6 from the Spektrum website. http://www.spektrumrc.com/FAQ/tm.aspx?m=18

Definition of a parkflier is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:43 AM
giffordbilt

Flypaper 2, I went back and read speedsters last 8 or 9 post, this man know everything about everything. NOW we need to listen to someone that knows everything. I tell you who he reminds me of, my mother..and I am 56 yrs old. If I catch a cold its you had better do this and don't do that, if I am going somewhere on my motorcycle, you better becareful on that thing.. they are dangerous, watch out and dont get sunburned you going to get skin cancer. So it doesn't matter what you and I talk about. Chicken little once said, "The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling". Speedster, I am not being mean to you, on the contrary, I am giving you constructive criticism, Here is what I get out of what you are telling me how irrespondsible it is to do this. I been in the trucking industry for 30 years, There have been wheels come off trucks and hit cars, tandum wheels come off trucks and hit cars, brake drums burst and come off trucks and go throug windshields of cars, just the other day not 100 yds from our dealership a big roll of steel on a flatbed trailer ( I know you have seen them on trucks) came off at the stop light and hit another trk. My point is you can sit and imagine all this negitaves like the plane might do this or it might do that but the long and short of it is, we don't pull our trucks off the road because they have the accidents I mentioned. I am not going to not do something because of your chicken little perspective of my application of a radio unit. Now the next time you take your plane up, (if you even fly) you might want to think before you take off that the system might glitch and then fly over to that school yard and hit those kids you so adamantly told me about.

Flypaper, that Spectrum post lets me know it will work in anything as well as any TX & RX as long as you put it somewhere in the f/l where there isn't conductive material. I don't think anybody has a controller yet that has a screen and camera that lets you fly beyond your vision of the plane. Well the Preditor and Global Hawk maybe.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Flypaper 2

Ordered my first Spektrum before they even came out as I knew it was going to be the best thing since digital propo came out. Flew Galloping ghost and reeds since the early 60s. Had the DX6 for three yrs and never had a glitch. Always liked to push to the edge even with flying but safetywise it's just common sense not to mess around when there are people around, etc. I do prang my share of planes and choppers by putting my toe just over the edge, but when there's no one around. 71 yrs old here.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 AM
speedster 1919

Giffordbilt If you didn't like the answers then why did you ask the question. I count 5 replies that kinda warn you about range , and I know , you know more than the manufacturer. I am a traveling salesman and sell paint for trucks and trailers. I bet you put RECAPS on the front steer axle too. Planes cost money and some are precious so why would you want to take a chance of not having enough range for one of your babies. So eat your cheese burgers and speed down the road with your metal coils on your recaps and half loose dual wheels.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 AM
giffordbilt

No sir, I work in a dealership that repairs trucks. Sir, my question was what is the range of a parkflyer. I don't remember asking anything about all the liabilities that go along with breathing.

You need to just run on to somebody elses thread and tell them what they need to do. I have no use for your type and for sure your advise. So you just leave my thread alone and I promise not to jump in on any of your threads, besides why would I want to give anyone second rate advise after they had been advised by your professional opinion?

Mr moderator, please be advised I have no desire to be in conversation with this individual. I am giving notice that I do not want his advise or his opinion in one of my threads.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Villa

I hope I never make the mistake of offering you a suggestion or any advice.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:06 PM
speedster 1919

I see giffordbilt is now from IRAN . I guess a terrorist needs more range than a park flyer to carry out his mission. You sir act like your 6 yrs old and not a responsible 56 yrs old.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:07 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you say we all calm down and answer the question without name calling?

Now please post according to the rules. Thank you.