Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Was shipped a damaged plane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Was shipped a damaged plane

Old 04-29-2008, 05:10 PM
quietstorm366
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was shipped a damaged plane

UPS delivered a Hangar 9 27% 260 to me last week. When I opened the box there was alot of damage to the plane. USP came out here today and said the plane would be sent back to the seller, and that they would pay him for the damages. He may be able to repair the plane and come out on top. The box has several holes in it, and you could see where UPS taped the holes.
My question is, what happens when someone receives a plane that's been damaged? Who has to endure the cost, the seller, or the buyer? In this case, I thought I was buying a plane and DA50 without any problems. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, John
Old 04-29-2008, 05:11 PM
quietstorm366

Default RE: Was shipped a damaged plane

I forgot to add, the plane is insured for $1000.00.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:28 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was damaged during shipping, the seller technically isn't responsible. I would contact him though so he can help you file a claim with the shipping company. I've been down this road once before and the shipping company tried to deny the claim due to insufficient packaging even though it was more than adequate (probably even overdone). Hopefully your claim will go smoother.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 PM
2daysoff

Sorry to hear about the problems... why do you think we call them United Plane Smashers..
Old 04-29-2008, 08:31 PM
quietstorm366

Here's the thing, UPS packed it....DUH
Old 04-29-2008, 08:44 PM
quietstorm366

So, if the plane is insured for $1000. and the damage is $700.00. Is the plane totaled or can I /We keep the plane? Gad, this really sucks for the buyer. $1450.00..........John
Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 PM
quietstorm366

I will never buy another plane via any type of UPS/FEDX............
Old 04-29-2008, 09:41 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience the sender is the one who is insured and the insurance funds are sent to him. It is then up to the sender to then settle with the buyer.

It's always important to insure for the full value of the shipment. I have been through this with a non-airplane related item. It was insured for full value but was shipped in 2 boxes. The sender insured them each for half the total value. One box was lost. Of course the box that was lost was the box that contained nearly the entire value of the item. The sender was paid the insured value of the lost box and refunded it to me. I was left without my purchase and without half my money.

Dave
Old 04-29-2008, 10:40 PM
quietstorm366

Thanks Dave for your input. Keep you posted. I still have the plane......may not give it up...
Old 05-02-2008, 07:14 PM
quietstorm366

Still waiting for a reply from USP.....Like watching paint dry....John
Old 05-02-2008, 10:14 PM
ExperimentalAviator
My Feedback: (15)

John,

About four years ago UPS damaged a collectors kit that I shipped per the UPS requirements, i.e., double boxed with a two inch separation, and the contents of the inner box secured. The damage was severe enough that it was beyond anything that could have happened accidentally. Still, UPS claimed that “the damage happened due to insufficient packaging,” and I have since found out that this statement is standard UPS practice.

After a three month battle I was finally able to get UPS to pay the claim, but with a twist. The partial composite kit was repairable and the new owner wanted to keep the kit but be compensated for the damages. I found out from a very nice UPS employee that the new owner could keep the item if we claimed less than the full amount of the insurance coverage. I believe the number in anything less than 90%. I just can’t remember the actual number, but it was something between 75% and 90%.

I had to get an estimate for the repair damage to the composite parts and that came out to be somewhere around 70% of the insurance amount. This estimate came from a company that repaired real airplane composite parts. UPS paid for the damages based on the repair estimate and the new owner was happy to take that money and keep the collectors kit.

Otherwise UPS would have paid me for the whole insurance claim and kept the kit, and I would then have refunded the money to the purchaser. The new owner wanted the kit so bad that he took the pay-off since he knew that he had the ability to fix the composite damage himself for just a few dollars in materials and two hours labor, and he ended up with the kit for very little money.

I have since learned to not ship anything UPS or FedEx unless absolutely necessary, and if so to insure the item for the direct cost, plus materials to ship, plus expenses to get to the shipper and back (i.e., your gas money), plus any fees for money orders or PayPal charges, etc., plus any other petty thing you can think of that is tangible. If you have to make a claim it is a nightmare to collect, so make sure you cover all of your expenses.

Greyhound seems to be the best method to ship a model item, especially if it is a completed model. One of our local club members crated and shipped a large P-38 from Alabama to California via Greyhound and everything went like clock work. From what I have read on RCU that seems to be the norm with Greyhound.

Best of luck,
Mike
Old 05-03-2008, 07:52 AM
quietstorm366

Mike thanks for the information. I myself will never ship using those two companies. Greyhound is the way to go. Thanks, John
I still have not heard anythink from UPS....