Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Which type of covering!?!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Monocoat
34.55%
Ultracote
41.82%
paint
0%
fabric
9.09%
koverall
5.45%
tissue
0%
other?
9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Which type of covering!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
jonathanhly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which type of covering!?!

OK so for some reason monocoat is the most acepted form of covering but why? as far as ive heard there are lots of other better looking options tell me what you think so next time i can make a better desicion.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:43 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Which type of covering!?!

Mylars films, like Monokote, are quick and easy ways to cover a model. They are light wieght and durable. They are great for sport models, but aren't very good for scale models that need a more realistic finish.
Lately I have discovered using Sig Koverall and find it very agreeable. However the process does take longer.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:58 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I prefer Ultracoat now having been a Monokote user for many years. Something changed with the Monokote and it does not work as well as it did. I got hooked on Ultracoat a few years back on a dare and I have never looked back. It goes on with lower heat and goes around curves a lot better. The big plus in my mind is the fact that when you do use heat to shrink it tight, it stays tight. Good Luck, Dave
Old 04-29-2008, 10:17 PM
LaCerne
My Feedback: (16)

I agree about Monokote changing about 10 or 15 years ago. I've had very good luck with Ultracoat, and lately I've had great results with Hobby Lobby's Polycover. The Polycover is very easy to put on, and the colors are very bright. I'm just now putting it on a nitro airplane so I don't know how it holds up to nitro.

Take care'
Larsen
Old 04-30-2008, 06:59 AM
BillyGoat

Can tell you right now Ultracote will win out in your poll.

I too find Ultracote much easier to work with, like already mentioned, easy to work around corners etc. However I find it’s less stable than Monokote. I have a couple old planes in monokote that look just as good as the day they were covered and have not been touched since. On the other hand all my planes in Ultracote have problems with edges lifting and develop wrinkles needing to be re-shrunk from time to time.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:00 AM
spiral_72

Ultracote. I don't find that Ultracote lifts or wrinkles with age any different than Monocote, they both do, but maybe that's my fault. Ultracote is so much easier to apply due to the temps used. I just wish the white was more opaque.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Flying freak

I prefer monokote as i find it easier to work with than ultra cote, I burn wholes in ultra cote[:@]
Old 04-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

As for plastic covering Ultracote all the way, but this is a very broad question. For different size, type, and construction of planes I use different covering materials.

Ultracote, Thermalspan, Koverall, and Fiberglass are my coverings of choice. For a gereric .40 size, non-scale aircraft I vote Ultracote.

ORIGINAL: Flying freak

I prefer monokote as i find it easier to work with than ultra cote, I burn wholes in ultra cote[:@]

- I have actually found the opposite when following the instructions that come with it... (Ultracote uses lower temps)
Monokote will hold bubbles and wrinkles, and also does not seem to shrink as much.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For .40 size and up, any of the tex's are best. Stronger, easier to apply and realistic looks at little or no increase in weight.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Jester241

Wow....I'm also and Ultracote fan,but I didnt think THAT many more people like Ultracote over Mono. I probably use monokote more though only because its much more available and comes in alot more colors,but complain about not using Ultra the whole time I'm putting it on,lol.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:23 PM
BillyGoat

ORIGINAL: spiral_72

I just wish the white (Ultracote) was more opaque.

I totaly agree!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:58 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

I'll special order Ultracote and wait a couple weeks before I'd use a free roll of Monokote in my hand today.
It's *THAT* much easier to use (at least for me - others may have different results...)
Old 05-02-2008, 04:50 PM
DaveB

I tried Solartex for the first time on a Sig Citabria. I was very pleased with the ease of covering compound curves. I will admit however, for best results a couple of coats of polyurethane is needed to ensure the fabric stays relatively stain free. All in all, it's the best I have encountered thus far.

DaveB
Old 05-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love Monokote. I won't use Ultracoat if I can get around it. I hate how it peels apart, how it melts when shrinking, and how it leaves the colored glue behind on your wood when you strip the plane to recover it. And it doesn't seem to hold up as many seasons as Monokote.

On the other hand, Ultracoat is my first pick when covering foam. It's also easier on complex curves like wingtips and wing fillets.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:06 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I had an experience with Monokote the other night that sold me. I was covering a plane for a club raffle. We had a very large wrinkle that had developed. I was using a friends Tower Hobbies heat gun. We had it set on the highest temperature, and had the nozzle very close to the covering, and it still didn't burn through. The Monokote must have shrunk 30 percent or so to pull out the wrinkle, and it looked great. Other coverings with that kind of heat would have burned through in a few seconds.

I think the problem most people have with Monokote is they're afraid to use the kind of heat it takes.

Brad
Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I dont use monokote any more except to trim using the windex method.

By problem with monokote is that there is a fine line between good shrinking and burning.

I much prefer ultracote. Covering with monokote is a frustrating experience that I dread but I look forward to covering if its with ultracote.

Also, some monokote colors dont shrink very well at all. Some of the metallics and transparents are terrible to work with.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Jester241

Mono does take heat alot better and I even think its tougher(but Ultra still shrinks ALOT more). And although you might not burn holes in mono as much,the heat tends to seperate the color pigment from the backing thus distorting the color. I'm sure this depends on the color though,but I can tell ya this problem is really bad on neon yellow mono. Neon yellow (and I'd assume other neons) is VERY difficult to work with. I swear that stuff actually EXPANDS when heated causing wrinkles,lol.