Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

trainer cord

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Stick 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trainer cord

will a futaba trainer cord plug into a hitec tx, I have a futaba tx and my friend has the hitec tx and he wants to use the trainer cord.
thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: trainer cord

Look here: http://www.rc-electronics.co.uk/buddy.htm and you can probably figure out how to wire up a buddy cord for your situation.
(Futaba FM and Hitec connections and wiring diagrams look identical to me, round plug to round plug.)
Old 04-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You must use a Hitec trainer cord, not a Futaba. The Hitec cord is polarized, i.e. you must use the end marked Master on the main transmitter and the other on the slave. The connectors are the same on both which allows you to plug in the Futaba cord but that can lead to problems and possible damage to one of the transmitters.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Stick 40

I printed out the wiring dia. and I have the futaba 7u FM with the round plug just like the hitec and the other is a hitec laser 4.
Both look the same as to wiring in the dia., we should be able to use these, the fataba will be the master.
so I still need to get a hitec cord , master to futaba ???????
Old 04-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what "possible damage" one could do using a Futaba cord with a HiTec. I know I trained a lot of people using my HiTec Prism with the student's Futaba, and a Futaba cord.

My Prism had the round DIN socket, and a Futaba might have the round DIN socket or the little square socket, which would require a cord with a round DIN plug on one end and the square Futaba plug on the other. Futaba sells them, I've used them, no problems.

I've trained both ways, using the student transmitter for the Master, or the other way 'round, using the HiTec for the Master. If they both have Round DIN sockets and you use the HiTec cord, you will need to plug the Master end of the plug into the transmitter the instructor is using. And, again, I've had no trouble using the Futaba cord and the HiTec Prism as master.

Also, it seems I always have to make this clear to the student, the student box must be switched Off.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
(edit to remove one of the '''''s in several places)
Old 04-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Make one.
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/futfm.htm Futaba and Hitec at the same pinouts.

Never use a Futaba Trainer Cord with Hitec TX, whilst it may work in some intances, there are many combinations which will let the magic smoke out of one or the other TX and also does not stop RF emitting from a Hitec TX when used as a Buddy box if the crystal or module not removed.

Please also refer to recent post Hitec Buddy - Trainer Box compatibility

As Hitec USA web page is undergoing rebuild, full warning is quoted here. I have repaired several Futaba & Hitec TX which have been blown when using the two way Futaba cord.
"Important Information Regarding Trainer cord compatibility
To our valued customers,
While Hitec radios are known to be trainer compatible with other Hitec and
Futaba systems, Hitec has determined that the two-way Futaba cord is not
100% compatible with our systems and strongly suggests it not be used at any time.
Our tests show that when the Futaba trainer cord is used with a Hitec radio the slave transmitter will emit an RF signal, thus creating a potentially dangerous interference situation, and in some cases will burn up components in the slave and or master radio.
Hitec suggests that only the one-way Hitec trainer cord (#58310) be used
with Hitec radio systems for training. Failing to do so will void the
customers warranty and could create a potentially dangerous situation.
Hitec apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause, but the safety of
our customers is our utmost concern."

For correct pinouts refer to TX 2 TX See also the sub section "Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads. Flight Simulator & Interface." on my web page.

The above is taken from www.reegroups.com/forums and lists some of the reasons you should not use a Futaba trainer cord to mate with a Hitec slave or viceversa.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Stick 40

very right, I emailed hitec and that is what they sent back. Use the 58310 Hitec cord.
Scar said that the slave tx is to be turned of, that sounds right. its been awhile sence we tried to use a trainer.

I emailed Futaba and only go a automated response that did not anser the question.
I have been a long time Futaba user, but that is changing..
thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Stick 40

Hi rodney,
I was just looking over the post on my trainer cord question, thanks for the reply. But I am still not sure about the Master - Slave thing. Can the Hitec and Futaba TX's be switched aound as to which is slave and master IF YOU are using the Hitec cord PN 58310???????? We have the cord now, would just like to know if the Hitec can become the master. The slave must have bat. and ant. out??????