Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Running 50/50 lighter fluid / Mystery Oil

Old 04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
ser00

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Running 50/50 lighter fluid / Mystery Oil

Hi everybody,

This is my first post and I must say that I love all the information that is on this sight. I use to fly R/C planes about 8 years ago. My last plane was a kit-built CG Falcon III .40 size. Since I now have the time and finances to through at the hobby, I have decided to get back into R/C planes (glow) again. I have a Pulse XT 40 (I can hear the 60 size Pulse calling my name) and I am currently building a CG Senior Falcon ARF. This will be the plane that I will get back into flying with. I visited a local flying field here in Pasadena, TX looking to join (I have my AMA membership already) and one of the guys there stated that several of the members use a combination of 50/50 cigarette lighter fluid (yellow bottle) and Mystery Oil as a after run oil. They fill the carb. and start the engine. The engine runs for about 6-7 seconds and cuts off then. They do this about 3 or 4 times. He stated that this removes all the fuel from the engine and lubricates it as the same time. In the past, I have used after run oil only ( I planned on using Mystery Oil as after run oil now as that seems to be popular on the forums). The guy states that his engines and the other people's engines run as good as the day that they were brand new and some people have years and years on their engines. Thinking about what is going with the mixture, the lighter fluid would fire the engine and force any remaining fuel out. I do not think that the lighter fluid would attract water. Since the mixture is running through the engine, the Mystery Oil would also be circulating through it. Since the engine only runs for a few seconds, I am not too worried about thermal breakdown. My only concern is possible gumming of the engine. What is everybody's thoughts on the matter? Any suggestions on what is a better method. My three engines (2 Evolution .46 NT and 1 Super Tigre Ringed .51) are brand new and I wish to keep them running that way. I plan to always run them a little rich (don't need to squeeze every last rpm out of them).
Old 04-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Running 50/50 lighter fluid / Mystery Oil

Lighter fluid is naptha, might be cheaper to buy paint naptha at the hardware store, or Coleman's fuel. Not sure this is good or bad for the engine. Naptha is somewhere between kerosene and gasoline, I suspect the glow plug ignites it very retarded, so I doubt there is any harm done. However, If not it could be igniting well advanced and detonating which could eventually ruin the piston.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think that I would be a bit suspect to using lighter fluid with oil. Naptha is a pretty powerful solvent and will break down a lot of petroleum based products. Among other things I use it to get tar off of my car. I would worry that it would thin out or break down the Marvels Mystery oil. I know that a lot of pilots will use Marvels for afterrun oil, but you don't need to "run" the engine to spread it around inside the engine. Simply drop a few drops in the carb opening and a few down the glow plug hole and then turn the engine over by hand a few times to spread it around. Automatic transmission fluid is another widely used afterrun oil. I personally don't use any because I run Cool Power fuel. Morgan blends an afterrun oil in to their fuel mix. I've had engines that have sat for 2+ years with no other steps done to store them other than running the fuel out of them. No rust or corrosion at all.

Ken
Old 04-30-2008, 02:49 PM
ser00

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the replies. RCKen, would you suggest that when I am done flying for the day, empty the fuel tank, start the engine and let it up burn up any remaining fuel in the lines and then just apply MM oil in the carb and glow plug opening? I plan on trying to fly at least one day a week, hopefully more. I would feel safer doing what you suggest than having a container with 50/50 lighter fluid and MM oil sitting in my flight box. Another question for anybody, I have read that some people put a few drops of after run oil in the engine and other say that you need to work in at least a teasespoon through the carb to get maximum benefit. Are there any problems with putting too much other than some difficulty possibly starting it?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Stick 40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi,
I have been using MM airtool oil for years and have stored engines for years with no ill effect. I generaly (at the end of flying for the day) run the engine dry eather out of fuel or pinch off the line. Pump out the remaining fuel and put 4 to 5 drops of MM airtool oil. I then flip the porp WITHOUT the glow on the plug.Remember if your in a humid area, it would be best to use the oil no matter what fuel you use. You can buy it by the quart for around $5 an it will last a long time.
Oh almost forgot when you want to run the engine again (if your putting oil in the engine )
make sure there is no oil in the engine to lock the engine up. Using a elect. starter you could damage the engine if there is too much oil in it. I generaly flip the prop over a few times ( NO GLOW DRIVER ON THE PLUG) , to make sure it goes through compression alright. If it wants to lock up, you need to get the oil or even extra fuel out of the engine ( ya, fuel can do it also).
Old 04-30-2008, 03:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Exactly what Stick40 said. Run the fuel out of your engine and put some Marvel's in the engine. A little down the carb and some in the glow plug hole, then turn over the engine by hand to work it in. But you are going to fly every week you may not need it. I see you're in Texas, but not sure what part you are in. If it's very dry where you are you can get away without any Marvel's if you are going to fly every week. But if you are in a humid area a little bit will keep the engine in good shape between flights.

Ken
Old 04-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What was said above will work well unless you are using a 4 stroke engine. On those you need to put the after run oil into the crankcase breather tube to do much good not just a drop or two but about a teaspoon full then rotate the prop a few times with the engine moved into different attitudes to get the oil around the bearings in the con rod as well as the main bearings. Any air tool oil and or ATF (automatic transmission fluid) will work well as an after run oil. You can not run a 4 stroke dry by cutting off the fuel flow as there is still a lot of crud left in the crankcase.