Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Identify this maneuver

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Identify this maneuver

Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 AM
spiral_72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identify this maneuver

This is very, very cool. I didn't even know this was possible. Any idea what they call it?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/125069..._above_ground/
Old 04-30-2008, 11:43 AM
alfredbmor

Default RE: Identify this maneuver

Nice Sukhoi and great Pilot.
Looks to me like a 45o straight knife edge.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:49 AM
victorzamora

It's called a showpass. That's all it is.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

It's called a showpass. That's all it is.
Yep. That pilot was exceptionally skilled. It requires cross controlled inputs between the rudder and ailerons and quite a bit of practice to make it look that stable.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I"m not up on the airshow lingo, but to me, it looked about half Knife edge and half slip. But he did it very low and fairly slow, which makes it an impressive specatacle and fairly dangerous.
Most airshow stunts are all about showmanship and aren't comprised of very difficult elements. But they are flown low and with precision, so they are still very impressive.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:56 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

JUst an uncoordinated Airshow Pass with a Yak 55.... Looked good!
Old 04-30-2008, 03:13 PM
spiral_72

Is it an illusion? because I'm not seeing what provides the lift!? It's not hanging on the prop, and it doesn't look like it's moving fast enough to provide any lift from the ummmm, well, something. I'm in awe.

Tried to Google show pass, showpass, and some variations. I didn't really see anything so I'm not sure how it done yet.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:32 PM
firstplaceaviator

I'm not sure how it done yet.
It's actually pretty easy to do. The lift is coming mostly from the fuselage, But the wings and tail are still providing some lift, as they are not verticle, but at approx. 45* to the horizon.

THe maneuver requires a plane with a good thrust to weight ratio, a rearward C.G. and a huge rudder. At cruise speed, the nose is brought up to about 45*. Then, the plane is rolled to a 45* bank. Next the rudder and ailerons are cross controlled to put the plane in a slip. Throttle is used to control altitude and all of the flight controls are used to maintain attitude.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:55 PM
frenchie79

slickest move i've ever seen or maybe a bootched high speed low pass??????? Possibly crabing into a 70mph crosswind.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: firstplaceaviator

JUst an uncoordinated Airshow Pass with a Yak 55.... Looked good!
Looks to be a SU26. Prop running clockwise and too sleek to be a YAK. [)] Sukhoi's rule.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:57 PM
firstplaceaviator

Looks to be a SU26. Prop running clockwise and too sleek to be a YAK.
Wrong.... Pause the video at 43 seconds. It is clearly a Yak 55! I will bet mad amounts of cash
Doug
Old 04-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Insanemoondoggie

I luv the sound of a radial , I dont care if it`s on a DC3 . Corsair ,Yak , Sukio or a beat up old Beechcraft . They do sound cool .
Old 04-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: spiral_72

Is it an illusion? because I'm not seeing what provides the lift!? It's not hanging on the prop, and it doesn't look like it's moving fast enough to provide any lift from the ummmm, well, something. I'm in awe.

Tried to Google show pass, showpass, and some variations. I didn't really see anything so I'm not sure how it done yet.
It's fairly slow, but not outrageous. I think you've been watching models too long! Full scale aircraft *look* slower. The wings are still providing adequate lift, albeit requiring a high angle of attack in this situation. He's executing a right bank while holding in left rudder. The altitude is primarially being controlled with throttle. It's actually difficult to do in the controlled manner he did it in.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

It's really an exeraggerated slip by a plane with a big rudder and a lot of power. I would think that most all full scale pilots have done a slip, but probably not to that extreme.

I taught them as a T-37 instructor pilot back in the 1960s. We used the wing low slip for crosswind landings and slips during a Simulated Flame Out (SFO) landing. The SFOs spooked many students, so I prepared mine for them. I remember saying, "All right Lieutenant, when the check pilot has you fly to the aux field at 10,000 feet altitude, you know he'll ask for an SFO next. Be ready." I would tell them to circle down and aim for the middle of the runway so they wouldn't be short. My ulterior motive was to make them have to slip. Students that know how to slip and can nail the SFO, get better grades on the whole check flight. If they screwed up the SFO at the first of the flight, they were mentally shot for the rest of the check. I told them to stand on the rudder, full rudder and just steer the plane to the runway. They ended up in a pretty steep bank, standing on the wing tip, so to speak, but that seemed to impress the check pilot that they could handle the plane. My students always got good grades from the check pilots. Four years instructing and never had a student wash out.

That was their 30-hour check. Take off, SFO at aux field, go to acro area and do lazy-8, Chandelle, Immelmann, loop, Cuban-8, cloverleaf, aileron roll, barrel roll. Then climb up and do a spin and recovery. Next, it was back to the pattern for a single engine landing, a no-flap landing and a regular landing. Man, that was 40 years ago that I taught that. I sort of lost the original question. Sorry.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Nathan King

Slipping is an absolute necessity in full scale aviation. I personally wouldn't want to fly with anybody that isn't proficient at it!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 PM
firstplaceaviator

Heres a great video of a Stearman bipe doing the same thing! (Just a little less bank[)])

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiAIDMuuzPY
Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ed, thank you for joining in. At one time this stunt was shown on RCU vids but got pulled off for some reason? It was the Russian team flying at A show, much better too I might add. It turned me on so much I went out and tried to learn it. Nothing I owned would even come close so I scratch built A Sukhoi 29 80 incher that was supposed to be powered by A 1.20 four stroke. I built it around A Brison 40cc gasser so it was light and over powered. I could almost get it to do it but I thought I needed A bigger rudder. I will never know, soon after I moved here I took off and forgot to pull out that long silver thing in the center of my radio.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99331.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	940633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63218.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	940634  
Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The maneuver is called a "forward slip" and performed in a manner greatly exaggerated from the same maneuver used in general aviation. The maneuver quality depicted in the video shows that you have a very skilled pilot and that he knows his aircraft extremely well. Any well trained commercial rated pilot should be able to perform the maneuver to a high performance level, but below the level of that shown.