Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How do I do Checkboard/Grid covering on my wing?

Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How do I do Checkboard/Grid covering on my wing?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:36 PM
tmenold
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How do I do Checkboard/Grid covering on my wing?

I have a mostly white Astro Hog with a red rudder and a few red stripes on the wing. I would like to put a checkerboard print on the bottom of the main wing and the tail wing. I would like to put it right on top of the existing monokote covering if possible. I have medium experience at covering (i completely covered my Dazzler, and done minor repair on other planes) so any advice on doing this is appreciated. Some advice I've gotten so far is to cut out squares (approx. 2" squares) and put them on the wing one at a time. If I do this, is it best to use actual monokote and glue it on using my heat iron or is it OK to use the monokote/covering with adhesive on the back and just stick them on as I cut them? I have heard there is a way to us the iron on monokote without using an iron? I'm assuming there is a way to activate the glue with some type of cleaner? If so, what kind of cleaner/activator do you use and what is the proper process to do this? Would this be better that using the adhesive covering material? Thanks to all who advise!

Trent
Old 04-30-2008, 10:30 PM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: How do I do Checkboard/Grid covering on my wing?

Easiest way to do checkerboard is to use the checkerboard monokote or ultracote. I'd remove the existing however.

Doing the individual squares is going to be a real pain. And talk about problems with corners lifting......
Old 04-30-2008, 10:50 PM
mikenlapaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought it was Sig that had 4" square checkerboard trim material.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:11 PM
tmenold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All that I've seen available is strips (approx 5" X 36") of checkerboard covering from Tower Hobbies. Other than that I haven't seen any covering that is checkerboard print. I've seen other forum's that people discussed cutting squares and ironing them on. See attached thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505864

I just did't know if there was an easier way to do this. I'd really rather not recover the wing, so if it's possible to put squares on (although I know it's going to be a bit time consuming) I might do that. Thanks for your input!

Trent
Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 PM
BillyGoat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tmenold

I have heard there is a way to us the iron on monokote without using an iron? I'm assuming there is a way to activate the glue with some type of cleaner? If so, what kind of cleaner/activator do you use and what is the proper process to do this? Would this be better that using the adhesive covering material? Thanks to all who advise!

Trent
Top Flight makes a trim solvent that will do just what you are asking. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHZ43&P=7

There is also a method of using Windex, but I've never tried it. You can find a ton of discussion about it right here in RCU. Just do a search.

I have to agree with da Rock, I would just use the covering that is already printed in a checkerboard.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 PM
mikenlapaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maybe this fella can assist.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...anchor/tm.htm#

His video http://www.vimeo.com/737785 (nicely done of construction) shows the 4" checkerboard covering being installed.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:44 PM
tmenold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Excellent video link! Your right it is Sig that makes the checkerboard print covering. You can get 1", 2", or 4" squares. I just really don't want to remove the bottom half of the wing covering and the bottom of the aileron covering to completely recover with the checkerboard covering. To me it just seems like a lot of work to remove my ailerons to do this. I'll have to check out and see if I have the poly/plastic hinges then I could just remove the pins and replace when I'm done. Thanks for all the input so far, sounds like I'm gonna have to weigh out the options and see which way I want to go.

Trent
Old 04-30-2008, 11:47 PM
mikenlapaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your right it is Sig that makes the checkerboard print covering. You can get 1", 2", or 4" squares.
Could you list some sources for the larger squares? I have not had success.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:56 PM
tmenold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is the link to the checkboard covering on Sig's website: http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...402.html?E+Sig

In the ad they say they offer 1", 2", and 4" checkerboard squares. They say the rolls are 31 1/2" X 78 3/4" long. Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:05 AM
mikenlapaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is the link to the checkboard covering on Sig's website: http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...402.html?E+Sig
Thanks

I have been dinking around trying to find that page for you for awhile tonite, glad you shared. (Just could not find it on Sig earlier)
Old 05-01-2008, 07:08 AM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you're sure the covering is Monokote, then the trim solvent is the way to go. And screw the effort and expense of finding precut squares. It sounds great until you deal with all the problems. The stuff doesn't sell fast. So you've got a really good chance of buying old stuff. Age isn't kind to the adhesive. The number of squares you pay for winds up screwing you bigtime. You will either have lots left over or not enough. And the cost is a killer. And the sizes can force you to an inefficient pattern. You work you butt off fitting one or two entire rows or worse. Measure your areas and you might see a certain size will work perfectly. It'll save you time and you're going to be spending A LOT of time putting down all them suckers.

Cutting squares out of a piece of Monokote is dead simple. Razor blade, straight edge and a work surface. And if you need a couple more squares.... that color match..... or you want slightly different sized squares on the tail versus the wing......

Yeah, squares work. I wish I had pictures of a couple of models I did back when Monokote was a new thing. forget the precut. And plan on the job taking more time than you think.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used checker board from Ultracote. They also have 1", 2" &4" in several colors. It can be mail ordered from Horizon or the LHS.

David