Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Back Up RX Batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Back Up RX Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Texan2
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Up RX Batteries

I'm considering a redundant RX baterry pack for my TF 310 Twin and don't know what components are necessary. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

PS What manufacturer sells the components? I know I'll need two battery packs. What else?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Back Up RX Batteries

All you need is the second battery pack and another switch. Two ways to hook it up. One, plug a "Y" harness into the battery jack on the Rx, then connect the switches to each leg of the Y, then connect batteries.

Two, use a separate Rx jack for each switch (any empty Rx jack can be used for power), and plug the batteries to each switch. This will give you a redundant system at whatever voltage one of the packs is rated at, but gives double the available capacity of one pack..
Old 05-03-2008, 05:44 AM
camdyson

Also, you can put the y-lead on a USED Rx output if no spares - just put the servo on one side and the backup switch/batt on the other side of the y-lead. The power all ends up in the same place on the Rx's common +/- power tracks.

If you fly JR 2.4, their new Rx with redundant batt inputs looks pretty slick too.

Cam
Old 05-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Flying freak

I wouldn't use 2 batteries going into a single jack into the rx, you have now just put a single point of failure in the line, the goal of 2 batteries is so that should any 1 item fail the system can operate if that y lead goes out on yah....

Also make sure when using 2 batteris that a single battery pack can supply the amps needed to keep the plane flying...

Steven
Old 05-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Texan2
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: khodges

All you need is the second battery pack and another switch. Two ways to hook it up. One, plug a "Y" harness into the battery jack on the Rx, then connect the switches to each leg of the Y, then connect batteries.

Two, use a separate Rx jack for each switch (any empty Rx jack can be used for power), and plug the batteries to each switch. This will give you a redundant system at whatever voltage one of the packs is rated at, but gives double the available capacity of one pack..
Thank you guys for all of your help. I couldn't have imagined it was that simple.