Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

rossi 46 problems

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

rossi 46 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:00 PM
brenthampton79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rossi 46 problems

I have a rossi 46 on my gp patriot and the engine is acting up. when i run it wide open with a hot shot on it runs fine, take the hot shot off it runs a few seconds and then blah nothing no sputter or anything just like you un hooked the fuel on it, also if i run it wide open and bring the power back fast it quits just like you turned it off. i have put 3 brand new plugs in it, one being a hot plug the other a medium. the hot acts up more than the medium it seems. I leaned it out more and the high end got a little better but doesn't seem like its rich enough.

Any ideas?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:36 PM
skull1971

Default RE: rossi 46 problems

What fuel are you running?
and where are your needle settings? low and hi?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 AM
brenthampton79

well i have the hi speed about 2 out
and the low end i just lean it till it picks the rpm up

fuel i am using is the omega green (synthetic oil) 15% fuel
Old 05-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You proably have a bad glow plug, or you simply are running too rich. This can happen when you adjust the mixture with the glow driver on. Peak spead does not mean ideal mixture, it is a combination of mixture and glow plug timing that determines the peak speed.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Sounds like too much nitro! to me. Engines runs and suddenly stops.when you try to set the high speed needle...eratic runs...hard to set . Typical sympthoms of too much nitro.
You should not be usising more than 5% nitro.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: brenthampton79

I feel this quote above is the chief clue as to whats going on here. That is not the way a second needle type low range is adjusted. You do not peak a low range needle instead it is leaned or enrichened depending on how the engine reponds to throttle ups from an idle, this only after the main needle is adjusted.

Its likely you have your midrange in so far that the main cannot be properly adjusted. I only have two Rossi's unfortunately, A side exhaust .45 and a rear exhaust .61 both running on full wave tuned pipes. They are the best handling and throttling two stroke glow engines I own bar none. Two turns open on the main needle sounds a bit lean to start and its likely you have the both needles too lean burning your plugs. Both of mine work well with cold plugs, McCoy #9 Remember the plugs are the only convienent way to control the ignition timing. A colder plug will retard the actual ignition timimg and start easier and run cooler.

One other problem you have makes me almost want to cry. These engines should not be feed all synthetic oil fuel, They are high performance jewels that require the added few degrees of thermal protection that only bean oil provides (Castor), Don't use all synthetic oil fuel. !0% nitro content fuel is fine and what is recommended by the distributors specifically by brand at this page below. In my case I normally run 15% nitro conternt fuel (a mix of bean and synth oil) all the time and there are no problems.

Do spend some time reading here:

http://www.rossienginesusa.us/SGME/R...structions.pdf

Old 05-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sounds like too much nitro!
If it were it would run worse with the glow starter, not stop when it was removed.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:47 PM
burgh_guy61
My Feedback: (11)

There has been some very good advise so far given to you. I have to ask though, did your rossi ever run well prior to this? Another thing to look at is your fuel tank set up. A patriot is a difficult plane to get a good set up in. Make sure your tank is padded so your fuel does not foam. Another thing is if your running retacts in the patriot 9 times out of 10 you will need to go to a header tank because of the lack of room to make a system that works.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Sport_Pilot

Another thing is if your running retacts in the patriot 9 times out of 10 you will need to go to a header tank because of the lack of room to make a system that works.
Header tanks are only used in helicopters as a warning device. I don't see how they could help. I suspect you mean to add back capacity from using a small tank by adding a small tank under the cowl?
Old 05-06-2008, 04:27 PM
jbalash
My Feedback: (1)

Listen to johnbuckner's advice, Rossi's are a different animal and will not run without a head shim above 5% nitro. Save yourself alot of grief and buy some FAI fuel. I'm running 0% in my 46 and it runs as advertised. I too tried at first to operate this like a typical glow engine at first and could not get it to transition well. Before you accept any advice make sure that they have actually tuned a Rossi and had it run well. Good luck and enjoy!

Jim
Old 05-06-2008, 08:55 PM
brenthampton79

Well guys thanks for all the advice i think i will pick up a colder plug then because i have a medium plug then went to the hot plug and got worse on the randome shutdown, however i haven't burned either plug up it will still start again and do the same thing again.
I also have the 15% pink omega fuel that has the castor oil in it ( i like it better anyway for all my engines they seem to run better on it to my brother and i no matter the engine os or rossi)
as for the 0% fuel if thats the solution then it will be for sale on ebay because i have a lot of other planes that i run the 15% on and our lhs doesn't carry that type of fuel either and where i live thats a 30 minute drive to that one so im pretty much out of luck on that.

I also messed with the plane again today richened it up and all had it 3 turns out on the thing took the carb off once and cleaned it out good also, richened the low end up and then i would taxi around reving the thing up doo great!!! for a few minutes then all the sudden open it up and blah quit again

my brother has a rossi 45 and it runs like a champ this 46 is a different beast.
the engine has ran in the past pefect then all the sudden start acting up.
could quite possibly be the plug, what plug does the rossi come with a cold one????
Old 05-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

as for the 0% fuel if thats the solution then it will be for sale on ebay because i have a lot of other planes that i run the 15% on and our lhs doesn't carry that type of fuel either and where i live thats a 30 minute drive to that one so im pretty much out of luck on that.
I have seen Rossi's run on 15% fuel. In fact thats the fuel the old quickie used, though I don't know if the head was shimmed or not. But I would think you should be able to run 15% fuel on one or two head shims. I myself would opt for 5%, easier to tune than FAI and cheaper than 15%. I don't have a problem with bringing an extra jug of fuel. But that's me.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: brenthampton79

I feel this quote above is the chief clue as to whats going on here. That is not the way a second needle type low range is adjusted. You do not peak a low range needle instead it is leaned or enrichened depending on how the engine reponds to throttle ups from an idle, this only after the main needle is adjusted.

Its likely you have your midrange in so far that the main cannot be properly adjusted. I only have two Rossi's unfortunately, A side exhaust .45 and a rear exhaust .61 both running on full wave tuned pipes. They are the best handling and throttling two stroke glow engines I own bar none. Two turns open on the main needle sounds a bit lean to start and its likely you have the both needles too lean burning your plugs. Both of mine work well with cold plugs, McCoy #9 Remember the plugs are the only convienent way to control the ignition timing. A colder plug will retard the actual ignition timimg and start easier and run cooler.

One other problem you have makes me almost want to cry. These engines should not be feed all synthetic oil fuel, They are high performance jewels that require the added few degrees of thermal protection that only bean oil provides (Castor), Don't use all synthetic oil fuel. !0% nitro content fuel is fine and what is recommended by the distributors specifically by brand at this page below. In my case I normally run 15% nitro conternt fuel (a mix of bean and synth oil) all the time and there are no problems.

Do spend some time reading here:

http://www.rossienginesusa.us/SGME/R...structions.pdf

+1 on all advice here.....3 years late , of course [X(]

I run Wildcat Premium "Extra" 15%......best fuel in the world. [:-]

18% total lubrication (Thus the "Extra" since regular premium is 15% oil)

Of the 18%.......it is a combo of 80% synthetic and 20% castor.......

Everything a growing boy needs! [:-]