Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Which 2.4 ghz radio is betterFutaba 10C or Spectrum 9303

Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Which 2.4 ghz radio is betterFutaba 10C or Spectrum 9303

Old 05-11-2008, 05:53 PM
rghalcomb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Which 2.4 ghz radio is betterFutaba 10C or Spectrum 9303

This will be my first purchase of a 2.4 ghz radio. What radio do some of you reccommend and why? I am interested in extreme speed and have a Jett 90LX with a tuned pipe.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:38 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Which 2.4 ghz radio is betterFutaba 10C or Spectrum 9303

Round 8...DING DING DING

It's all personal preference. I had a Hitec radio in 72mhz and made the change to 2.4ghz about 4 months ago. The hitec was a great radio, but I ran out of model memory and decided to go with 2.4 when i needed a new radio. I chose the JR 9303. Reason? Futaba didn't have a competing model out yet. I have been extremely happy with my 9303. The programing is straight forward, and actually pretty easy. I don't have experience with any futaba radio, but plenty of my flying buddies have them and love them just as much as I love my 9303. What what that saying again?? "To each, their own."

Your best bet is to research the programing differences (if any at all) and see which one fits your needs the best. Also, go down to your LHS and just hold them. One may be FAR more comfortable than the other.

But which ever radio you choose, you won't be sorry. Futaba and JR both are top-notch radio manufacturers.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:44 PM
rghalcomb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello JCB,
Thanks for the input. How do you like the 2 receivers in your 9303?
Old 05-11-2008, 10:12 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I haven't had a single issue in 200+ flights with 5 different airplanes (haven't fully converted the fleet yet). Having two receivers actually gives me peace of mind. You can get extensions and place the satellite receiver pretty much anywhere in the airplane. Since 2.4 is such a line-of-sight frequency, it made ME feel better about using it. But that's not to say Futaba is any worse than Spektum, it's just a personal preference of mine. The Spektrum receivers are relatively small, especially the satellites. I just attach mine with velcro, since they are so light in weight, making it easy to place anywhere in i the plane. I have two JR921's, four AR6200's (two of them not in use yet) and one AR6100, all of which are attached with velcro. The AR6200's are especially small and light weight.

One thing I just read about is Futaba's Rx temperature sensitivity, but even that is a little extreme, but Spektrum also had it's own issues upon release. They are all taken care of in due time...

I guess another thing to consider would be the selection of receivers available for each brand and which may or may not suit your needs.

again, i think your best bet is to compare them in person and see which one fits your hands/fingers the best and go from there. Nothing worse than trying to fly a plane when your hands are uncomfortable!!
Old 05-11-2008, 10:30 PM
rghalcomb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks again JCB. I was leaning toward the spectrum 9303 and you have helped me make the decision.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:25 AM
iraied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am pondering this same question. I currently have a Futaba 9C and I have always loved Futaba. Now I want to upgrade to 2.4ghz.
Here are my options:
Futaba or Spektrum 2.4 module upgrade for the 9c for $250-300 bucks (I have heard that the Spektrum modules are better is this really true or just the hobby guy wanting me to buy JR?)
Get the new 10C Futaba $600
Get the JR 9303. $600+

I have heard that the model match technology in the JR radios is key when switching models, and apparently is a type of feature that the earlier Futaba 2.4 ghz radios don't have. Does anyone know if a model switching problem potentially exists with the Fasst systems? and has it been resolved with the 10c?

Has anyone had any problems with the Futaba 2.4ghz technology?

Thx Guys

Old 05-14-2008, 01:22 AM
jeffk464

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yup, cost me a predator II. It was from a known problem with Futaba's early 2.4ghz systems, but they addressed the problem and its no longer an issue.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:32 AM
CB36

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the Futaba 7C FAAST 2.4 and am experiencing problems with RFI in combination with a Fuji 32EI gasser. I know Fuji's are very noisy, but I thought I'd beat it with the 2.4 technology and since all my other stuff is Futaba, I'd go with the 7C FAAST.

I'm still getting servo jiitters and found that by removing my optical kill switch from the mix cured it. I'm most likely gonna switch to a JR system for this beast as I hear they are pretty good at excluding ignition noise.

If anybody wants a never-flown Futaba 7C FAAST 2.4, PM me. I'll let it go at a very reasonable price. Just doesn't work in my application.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 AM
rghalcomb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello CB36,
Well I finally decided to purchase a Spectrum 7, 2.4Ghz. My local hobby dealer (Model Works in Tulsa OK) talked me into the Spectrum 7. I have heard from others that they prefer the Spectrum. I've always been a Futaba guy so I was a little apprehensive but am happy now. Thanks for all you guys who answered this forum........Ron
Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 AM
victorzamora

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Remember, exponential is the opposite on those radios. You want POSITIVE expo on spektrums and JR's!!
Old 05-23-2008, 09:13 AM
jaka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi!
????????
Positive /negative exponential??? What has exponential to do with Spektrum and Futaba radios???
Old 05-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
????????
Positive /negative exponential??? What has exponential to do with Spektrum and Futaba radios???
They both allow exponential and IMHO a very good idea, but they do work differently in the two systems, a point to consider when setting up a new plane. If you use the wrong polarity, you get a tiger by the tail.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

AMEN on the +/- EXPO. I set up a new 77" Goldgerg YAK 54 and couldn't figure out why it was sooooo sensitive till I looked at my Expo settings. I had 30% negative instead of 30% positive in the elevators. I actually flew it several times till I figured it out. Made me a better pilot that's for sure! I'll never make that mistake again! Speedy