Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Evolution 52NX Engine

Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 AM
ronerjones

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Evolution 52NX Engine

New engine has not run good from the start - have about 3/4 gallon fuel through it - wants to run very lean - Start up if fine - first throttle up to warm up and test must progress very slow - at 1/2 throttle sounds like it is loaded up and takes several seconds to throttle up same with 1/2 to fu ll throttle - have tried fox plug osA3 os8 and now using K and B idle bar plug - k and B plug is the only plug that the engine will run rich - same issue with other plugs only you have to run much leaner - Flies ok but if you idle back it loads up again and will take several seconds to throttle up - have replaced manufacturers fuel tubing checked back plate and cover all screws appear to be tight

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I would rather get this thing running than have to send it in. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Flying freak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Evolution 52NX Engine

Sounds like your needles are way off and your compensation for one with the other

Try setting back to stock settings

I have great luck with both the os 8 and os a3 plugs in my evo

Btw what prop you got on it?

Steven
Old 05-13-2008, 12:25 PM
ronerjones

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I I have the the engine set very close to factory settings now. only the plug with the idle bar will allow this. the other plugs will only run on the lean side.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Flying freak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Where is the fuel tank in relationship to the engine? are you using a perry pump or any other after market fuel pump? are you sure your fuel is good?

Steven
Old 05-13-2008, 01:19 PM
ronerjones

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fuel is new cool power 15% pink stuff - I did try fuel from a friends gallon and no difference - I have the engine mounted on a profile so tank on the left side with engine mounted sideways on right side - no pump system in use - Originally thought issue was because I was getting bubbles in the fuel from vibration took care of that added another layer of foam behind the tank and loosened the grab on it - by the way prop is an APC fun fly prop 12.25 x 3.75
Old 07-27-2008, 10:14 PM
perrye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just put a new evo .52nx in my sundowner using a 11x5 prop and 15% fuel. I am having the exact same problem. Have you come up with a solution, I am about to send the motor in. Thanks, E
Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 AM
ronerjones

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have not come up with a solution yet other than purchasing another competitors engine. I am fairly certain that it is a vibration issue and the engine may or may not act this way in another type of airplane. I went through everything and could not figure it out. Evolution replaced the engine once for me and I had the exact issue with the replacement. They have had the second engine for almost 3 weeks now and no word from them at all. I am going to include the contact information for you that way if you call or send it in you can deal with the same guys that I am dealing with. If they tell you they have never seen this issue well let them know where you got their info from. I am sure they will not appreciate this but maybe you will get a better turn around on this. Bill is the second guy that I am now dealing with. If you call service ask for Ray Harper he is the service tech that I have dealt with and was very nice. He has turned the issue over to Bill who is supposed to be testing the engine out for me. Good luck let me know if you figure out the problem. I have left it in the hands of Horizon at this point.

Bill Brundle
Senior Product Development Mgr.
Team JR
Horizon Hobby, Inc.
4105 Fieldstone Rd.
Champaign, IL. 61822
bbrundle@horizonhobby.com
Office (217) - 403 - 3270
Fax (217) - 355 - 0058
Old 07-29-2008, 06:45 AM
perrye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As of yesterday I brought the motor back to the store I purchased it from and they are going to try and get a new one from evolution to replace their shelf and give me store credit and I'am going to be purchasing an OS.55AX. I have a .46AX now and I have yet to have any problems. I don't think you can go wrong with that motor. It is also lighter than the evo and has a bigger bore. Same mounting pattern and width dimensions. Thats my solution. My theory is that the evo has a poorly engineered carb causing it to load-up and if replaced may run the motor better. Thank you for your feed back and I would still like to now how you make out when they resolve the problem. Thanks, E
Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 AM
SharpProp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have this engine and its runs beautifully. I also have the 40 size and they both run great. My only complaint is the "set right needles". My high end needle needed more adjustment than what was pre-set at the factory. File that little silver "nub" off that stops the needle from turning. Then you can tune this engine in properly and you won't have any regrets.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 AM
SharpProp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

also it sounds like you are rich on the low end. at half throttle both needles are coming into play allowing the low end needle to load you up. my low end needle is almost all the way forward. Just rich enough to let it idle down to a nice rumble.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:29 PM
perrye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tried all adjustments. And you can just pull the needle out with a pair of needle nose. The preset are what the factory set in consideration to their climate, altitude, etc. and may need further adjustment depending on were your located.