Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Removing Vertical Stabilizer for Repair(glued in)

Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Removing Vertical Stabilizer for Repair(glued in)

Old 05-16-2008, 05:57 AM
drewhosick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Removing Vertical Stabilizer for Repair(glued in)

Hi there,

I've got a Seagull Boomerang and the Vertical Stabilizer is glued into a slot in the back end of the fuselage. Anyways, I cracked it up a week ago when landing, caught a hump and the plane flipped onto it's back and cracked the vertical stab halfway down on the leading and trailing edge(not the rudder however). I just took a quick grip and glued both ends inside the cracks and put it back together but it was never well glued and was still a little offset where the cracks were. I also had trouble with the covering. Anyways, I tried prying it the other way so it would stand straight(stupid move) it cracked the other way. So now I'm resigned to uncovering it and rebuilding it. But I need to take it off the rest of the plane to do a good job. Problem is it's glued. Is there anything I can do to get it out without leaving too much of it inside the slot or is that just about impossible? I thought of also cutting the vert stab just above the first balsa piece that extends against the fuse from back to front and then when I put the rest back on I could glue a large piece of balsa on each side to keep it straight(kind of make another slot ontop of the plane)

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:00 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Removing Vertical Stabilizer for Repair(glued in)

What kind of glue did you use?

CA - Try CA Debonder
Wood glue - Try soaking it in water or heating with a heat gun to soften the glue.
Epoxy - Remove all surrounding covering and heat it with a heat gun. The epoxy will melt and soften
Gorilla Gule - Try heating, but you'll probably have to carve out the wood and use a razor knife to remove the glue residue down to bare wood.

Brad
Old 05-16-2008, 07:32 AM
drewhosick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Used 30 minute Hangar 9 epoxy.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 AM
drewhosick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It doesn't seem to be working that well. It worked on a part where I could use my hobby knife to help pry it by cutting partially where the glue was but in the slot into the fuselage it just doesn't seem to want to unglue. It's as if the heat can't get to it. or at least not enough heat. And I saw smoke a few times, hence I don't want my kit to become kidling.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:11 AM
rctrax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You will probably just have to carve it out will hobby knife so you can glue in a new fin
Old 05-16-2008, 01:31 PM
djr1007

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you have a Dremel, they have a bit that is similar to an end mill or groove router like bit. You will need to secure the plane so it doesn't move, bit will bounce around a little on the hard epoxy, so take it slow and keep a tight grip.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Jburry

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yup, it seems like mechanical removal is your fate now. Dremels, exactos, hacksaw blades, coping saw blades, they're all your friend now. If you have to remove some sheeting on the fuse, don't worry, it's not a big deal, you can rebuild anything like that pretty easily.

I had the horiz. stab on my 40 size p51D flutter in a 100mph dive last year. We were able to land the plane gracefully (thanks Chris!), and I was forced to carve off the stab and fin. Both were liberally epoxied in place. I just used an exacto and alot of patience. Was rebuilt and recovered in 2 evenings, much stronger now. The elevator joiner had failed.

In cutting out the horiz. stab, I'd removed a fair bit of tail sheeting as well. Just built'em back up (balsa toothpicks and glue), made sure the stab incidence was correct again, and glued that back on too.

Do what's necessary, and try not to add much weight. It needs be no stronger than original.

Good luck,

J
Old 05-16-2008, 02:32 PM
byrocat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Repairing or replacing the fin is a matter of looking at everything carefully, and doing any measurements needed (eg, incidence, etc.)

Not knowing the airplane, I'm not sure if you're going to have to dig into or replace the stab as well.

Work slowly, be patient, and measure three times before you glue it back.

Remember the old Mennonite phrase: the hurrieder I go, the behinder I get.....

Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 PM
airbusdrvr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: djr1007

If you have a Dremel, they have a bit that is similar to an end mill or groove router like bit. You will need to secure the plane so it doesn't move, bit will bounce around a little on the hard epoxy, so take it slow and keep a tight grip.
Dremel bit #561 looks like about an 1/8" drill bit but is a cutter. I just used the bil to remove a horizontal stab epoxied in place after a midair took off half the stabilizer. Use it carefully and you can get a clean removal. Of course this means you'll have to build another vert stab. Here is the Tower Hobbies link, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYA57&P=7
Old 05-18-2008, 08:02 PM
drewhosick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How do I measure the incidence in this case?