Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

aerobird

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Stick 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aerobird

I bought the aerobird from hobby zone and was wondering if anyone had this plane and could tell me how it flyes??????? I plan to fly it this weekend .
Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 AM
spiral_72

Default RE: aerobird

ORIGINAL: Stick 40

I bought the aerobird from hobby zone and was wondering if anyone had this plane and could tell me how it flyes??????? I plan to fly it this weekend .
My personal opinion is it's under powered and flies a bit fast for the beginner. I think it's a second beginner plane after the Super Cub, HOWEVER it's nothing to be worried about.

I bought one. It hit trees, signs, the ground, trees, trees, the ground and finally spent two weeks in the top of an oak. It's a pretty durable little plane actually and it was my first one. Taking off from the ground is kind of a waste of time. It'll do it, but it's better to give it throttle and hand launch it.

It'll loop and almost fly inverted. It's pretty fun. Before you take it out the first time, go by the hobby shop and get some small cabon tube and tape it to the top of the wing in the middle, with some super sticky tape..... That is if they haven't started doing that from the factory by now. The wing is a bit weak and it'll fold pretty easily. You just want something to give the wing some backbone.

Oh, and it uses more sky than you think, so find a wide open area with no trees and make sure it doesn't have any trees. HA! (personal joke)

Have fun!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Stick 40

Hi,
thanks , this is not my first plane. I am just getting back into rc planes and have flown some this spring. Its my first elect, and did not know what to expect. There is something taped on the wing, I can see it through the tape. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Stick 40

by the way, have you tried the bigger bat. its 2700mah? If I get it to fly I might order the bigger bat.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 AM
spiral_72

Yea, I think it comes with a 1000mA battery. I ordered a 1500mA battery from cheapbatteries.com I think the battery was $18. Pretty cheap I thought.

Anyways, the power was slightly improved but the flight time was rediculous with the 1500mA. I really don't know how long it lasts. Believe it or not, I got tired of flying after 30 minutes and landed. I give the sticks to someone else and they run the battery out. So with throttle managment, like 35-45minutes on a 1500mA??? I don't know why someone would put a bigger battery than that in it.

When or if you trash/get tired of the plane don't trash it. Save the servos, the carbon fuse, pushrods and the tail wheel. The servos are low quality, but work well enough and the other stuff works great when you build another foamy. I even built another foamy with the radio and motor.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Stick 40

I want to get it flying and then I will think about the bigger battery. I wonder if the voltage could be jumped up another cell????? If it would take another cell that would help the power. I think I will get it flying and then think about the extra cell, be better than useing it for parts......