Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Servo/Wire Harness/Electrical connection issue???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo/Wire Harness/Electrical connection issue???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:32 PM
tmenold
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo/Wire Harness/Electrical connection issue???

I bought a used AT-6 Texan and am having electronic issues with the aileron servos. When connected to my Rx (via the y-harness) the left aileron works great, but the right one will sometimes will do nothing, sometimes just buzz, and other times very slowly move in the opposite direction of the left one. I figured that I had either a bad servo, y-harness, or Rx. I swapped servos and it seemed to help some (but I didn't put on the rod and hook it to the the control horn) so I don't think it's a servo problem. I then swithed y-harnesses and believe it or not the opposite aileron basically quit working and the one that wasn't working started working perfect. I even went as far as to put in a completely different Rx and had the same bad results. As I messed with the connections (where the servos plug into the y-harness) the aileron servos started working perfectly. I think I'm ready to call that spot the culprit. The original y-harness is glued into the wing supports so soldering the aileron servo to the y-harness is out of the question. I could replace the servos so that at least I have fresh male plugs/prongs to plug into the y-harness so hopefully I'd get a better connection. Also, I do have some GB ox-gard goop that you can put on electrical connections that help prevent oxidation. Has anyone put something like this on connections in a plane to help prevent bad connections?

If anyone has any input it would be greatly apprecitated. Thanks!

Trent
Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 PM
waterloged

Default RE: Servo/Wire Harness/Electrical connection issue???

I think i'd try a new Y harness, It sounds like that is probably the culprit not the servos. I would never solder the servo wires anyway. they make some neat wire locks to hold the connectors togeather so they won't come apart or wiggle loose while flying. If you think the servo wires have a bad connection you can always take them out of the connector and clean them and put them back togeather.
good luck
Old 05-21-2008, 10:32 PM
tmenold

I've tried three y-harnesses, all with the same/similar results. I will try and clean the contacts as well as possible, but I think I'm going to try some of that anti-oxidizing goop unless someone gives me a reason not to or recommends a different method. Thanks for the input!

Trent
Old 05-23-2008, 10:09 AM
crownvic

Was having same problem then found a product called Stabilant 22A it is called a contact enhancer is used in automotive computers to improve electrical connections. You can find it at most auto parts stores.At NAPA it is under the STANDARD ignition line and is part number SL5.It works good a little expensive about 40 bucks an ounce CV
Old 05-23-2008, 05:14 PM
tmenold

Thanks for that info! I just tried working the aileron servos again last night before I put it away again (thinking that the issue was taken care of after putting on the GB goop, also was using the original y-harness) and they were still failing me. I think I'm going to yank out that old y-harness, replace it so that I know I have a new/good y-harness all the way to the Rx. If I'm still having problems after that I'm going to blame it on the servo. I might look into some of that expensive goop also. Thanks again!

Trent