Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Maiden Flight Rituals

Old 05-07-2003, 07:22 PM
mjd3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Maiden Flight Rituals

OK, lets here about all the maiden flight rituals you guys have surely developed to insure success. I'm throwing a 40 sized CAP from the nest this evening and I'd love to read about how you do it.

Please don't send replies including things like praying, buying garbage bags, and sacrificing balsa rubber-band airplanes to the gravity gods by fire. THOSE things are obvious.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:30 PM
Stick Jammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No ritual here. As long as you have confidence in your own abilities, just do all of the normal pre-flight checks and go for it.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:32 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fuel it, fire it and fly it. No rituals here.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:01 PM
Charlie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Warm up engine (run rich for a time so smoke will carry prayers to Heaven). Taxi, taxi, taxi, throttle up, head-level air time, throttle down, taxi, taxi, throttle up, head-level air time, throttle down, taxi. Stop and check it over. Refuel. Taxi, take off, circle field, land, taxi. Kiss ground, kiss plane, kiss anyone standing nearby. Remember to turn off transmitter. Turn back on transmitter and turn off chattering plane. Turn off transmitter again. Sit down on bench and have a drink of water.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:09 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I double check the controls and fasteners, then fly. When I land and turn off everything I go in the woods and check my shorts.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:38 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do a good range check, make sure nothing is loose, fly it. Then have a smoke if I can get my hands on one This goes for a good or bad flight BTW
Old 05-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Flypaper 2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I get a flyin buddy to check it over front to back. Amazing what you can miss even if you've been at it for a 100 yrs. Sometimes you can't see the woods for the trees.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:07 AM
mjd3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, Charlie P and rc_sport win the prize. ROFL.

Broke in the engine with a couple of tanks and then broke a prop taxiing. Need bigger tires.

Then it got dark. Maybe Sunday.

Flew the C**P out of the Avistar though ....got dirty looks from Janine (it's her plane now.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	76715_34038.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	45680  
Old 05-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Spaceclam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default here is what i do

kiss your engine, kiss your plane, bring a bottle of champagne, run it rich, and go to the bathroom before you fly, it will make it a lot easier. make sure to wear a despensible shirt to the field because it is manditory to tear it to shreads once you finish your first flight
Old 05-10-2003, 10:25 AM
mjd3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The deed is done!

I took all advise and kissed the ground, kissed the plane, kissed everyone nearby, checked my shorts (ok, I think), had a smoke and a glass of water!

Flies on rails. Two clicks left, one click down. Think I'm going to slide the CG back 1/8" at a time until it dialed in.

All the expected aerobatics mixes will be required, but all in all, I think it's going to be my favorite for a while.

At 58", it does get out there in a hurry. I can see why you guys keep going bigger! Next project, Sig 80" CAP 232???
Old 05-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Spaceclam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have a cap as well. the one you see to your left. it is made by vmar hobbies at www.richmondrc.com. a piece of advice, especially when it is new to you, aerobatic mixing is done at the sticks, not in the computer. the plane is very sensitive and will do anything you ask it to do once you tame it. mine is a 64" wingspan. nice size. not too hulky, but heavy enough to do prolonged torque rolls.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:32 PM
hookedonrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So far my ritual is this:

1. Check all of the hinges by pulling on the control surfaces to ensure that they are solid.

2. Ask one of the senior members to check the same things that I did, and some that I forgot.

3. Put up my clip and make sure no one else is present with the same frequency.

4. Do my normal radio distance check to ensure distance and correct movement of the controls.

5. Check throttle throw to make sure carb is fully open, and fully closed with the throttle trim removed.

6. Check the tank to make sure there is no leakage after filling.

7. Start the engine, and make final tuning adjustments.

8. Run it up to full throttle, back down, wait to see if it loads up.

9. Make more adjustments.

10. During first few minutes of operation on the ground, make sure all parts are solid and not vibrating with the engine running.

AND LAST.......Hand the transmitter to my instructor and let him take it up.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Spaceclam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just in case you have not already flown, when you make the adjustments, first of all, if you have a two stroke, you need your needle valve setting at least a thousand below peak, and then bring it back down another 500 because it leans out in the air. if you have a pumped engine, don't bring it down further than 1000 below, because it won't lean out, but being the engine is presumably new, keep it kinda rich and don't make sudden throttle movements.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:47 AM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Start and tune your engine at home or a site other than the flying field.

Run a couple tanks through.
This way you can check if anything is loose etc
also you get the feeling that you have spent some time on it
Old 05-11-2003, 05:23 PM
mjd3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the help. I broke the engine in the day before without flying. All went well. On the fourth flight, the engine coughed a couple of times. I found that the problem was a leaky o-ring in the quick fuel valve that was letting air bleed in through the fill tube, so I'll have to find another fueling solution. I just hope I didn't damage the engine. Also needs a pilot!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	77682_34038.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	45681  
Old 05-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Spaceclam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

that is a beautiful plane. i am glad all went well, and if you have a two stroke in that thing, it does not really matter that badly unless you let the air bleed for several gallons. if you have a four stroke, fix it and keep monitoring it. i don't think it had that much effect, but they are more sensitive, so be careful. cap 232's have a lot of potential, but as i have found, you need a lot of power to tap it. a recomendation for the sake of efficiency is to run apc props. they are nylon props, and for the same rpm, you will get more power with possibly less fuel comsumption. also, if you hit them on the ground as a result of just being new to the plane, it just scratches the tip, they don't really break. so far, i have meen trying furiously to wring the last bit of performance out of mine. how do you put a picture in?
Old 05-12-2003, 02:34 AM
mjd3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you!

It is a two stroke, OS-46FX and since the problem was so obvious, I'm sure air was only bleeding through for 2-3 minutes during that one flight.

Pictures can be attached by clicking the browse button in the attach file section of the reply or post form.

-Michael
Old 05-15-2003, 10:39 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Maiden or First flight ritual

Besides all the obvious safety related items to be checked, I say outloud these two things:

- "God Bless America"

- "Lord, Don't Let Me Screw Up Too Bad"

(C. Yeager)
Old 05-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Spaceclam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i'd run it rich for a couple of flights. 2-3 mins can do damage. how lean was it?
Old 05-16-2003, 01:14 AM
mjd3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd say the fuel flow was cut nearly in half for a while. I just received a j-tec fuel button from tower which I'll be installing. It really galls me that a $100 engine can be wreaked by a $10 fuel valve with a cruddy o-ring.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:22 AM
Spaceclam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you probably ruined the engine. here's what i did when my os.46 la vibrated it's own prop loose and over revved:

i sent it back to os, telling them what had happened, and listing it as a warranty repair becasue we followed the instructions word for word, and the engine wrecked itself.
Os said that we were running it lean, although we were running it rich because it was fairly new. they replaced the piston and the sleeve, and said that it was our fault, but becasue they were so nice and generous that they would replace it for free. we turned around, Sold it for more than we bough it fore, and got the engine you have now, the 46 fx. that engine is perfect in every way, but just send it back to them, they might just give you a new sleeve/piston for free. they are indeed, generous. however, for that plane, i would recomend that if you do that, that you sell it and get the 50 sx ringed. it is the same engine block, but with 10% more power, and reduced wear because it is ringed. you have the plane that can, so you may want an engine that can keep up. the longer you wait, the more it will cost.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:06 PM
mjd3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was looking at the 50sx. Why does Tower list it as an FX?

Anyway, that's probably what I'll do.

Thanks,
Old 05-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Spaceclam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it is listed as sx, just check out the link tower hobbies. let me warn you though, it is a bit pickier than the fx, follow the instructions carefully. it has indeed, a lot of power. the .46 swings a 10x7, i forgot the rpm, the fx is swinging an 11x7 at a higher rpm
Old 05-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Spaceclam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

although two strokes are cheaper, i would, to he totally honest, recomend the os .70 surpass II four stroke. you will have an incredible amount of power so you can do whatever you want, when you want it, it has a more realistic sound that will better fit the elegant appearance of the plane, all of their four strokes are ringed by the way. don't let me be an annoying salesperson, but in my opinion, i would never go back to two strokes, it is worth considering.
Old 05-17-2003, 04:38 PM
BigSTIK40flier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nice plane is that the kyosho CAP 232 if it is she flys goood dont she lol i have that same plane she is a good little bugger BTW i will never run an OS again i see all these people ajusting there OS engines for each flight i have a Thunder Tiger pro .46 and it is more powerful than the .46 fx ig got and hell of alot cheaper the thunder tiger 46 is 75 $ on tower and the os .46 is 110$

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service