Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

good Servo ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:46 PM
blitzskiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good Servo ?

It looks like a hanger 9 alpha 60 is going to be my first trainer. I am wondering what would be a good servo to put in it? I would like something that I could for another 60 size aircraft like the pulse xt 60 once i step up.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: good Servo ?

Standard ball bearing servos would be fine.

But you can spend as much as you want on servos for later down the line.

You can get really good deals on the JR DS821 right now if you look on the marketplace or on auction sites. You could probably get a set of 4 for around $15-$18 per servo. They are pretty fast and digital. Nice servos for the price.

The Hitec 475 is also a good buy, its a good higher torque ball bearing servo.

Tower has some new digital servos that priced nice too.

For a trainer and pulse its not necessary to go crazy with servos but I generally buy the nicest servos I can afford. Coreless servos are nice when you can afford them.

I have bought a bunch of servos here on RCU in the marketplace and have always gotten great deals. I can generally find the servos NIB or with little use for half or less than new price.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:56 PM
blitzskiff

chord-less? wouldn't there be interference
Old 05-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Gringo Flyer

Coreless not cordless like the futababa 9202 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXH299&P=ML

although that would be cool!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:59 PM
blitzskiff

how about this [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-JLine-Quattro-R-C-4-Channel-CH-Radio-Remote-Control_W0QQitemZ120265318553QQihZ002QQcategoryZ34 056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]jr[/link]? What is coreless is it like a super servo?
Old 05-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Gringo Flyer

The servos in that link are just standard servos.

Do you already have your radio? Generally radios come with standard ball bearing servos which are great for 40-60 sized sport planes.

I have never bought a JR radio but I think some of their radios do come with the DS821. My last radio I bought was a Futaba 7C and it came with digital servos.

Whatever servos come with your radio will be fine. Down the line you might want some nicer servos and you can upgrade. I would think your choice of radio would be more important right now.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:05 PM
blitzskiff

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

The servos in that link are just standard servos.

Do you already have your radio? Generally radios come with standard ball bearing servos which are great for 40-60 sized sport planes.

I have never bought a JR radio but I think some of their radios do come with the DS821. My last radio I bought was a Futaba 7C and it came with digital servos.

Whatever servos come with your radio will be fine. Down the line you might want some nicer servos and you can upgrade. I would think your choice of radio would be more important right now.
no i do not. I can go futaba, spekturm, or Jr because those are the radio that my rc club instructors use. I like 2.4 ghz but they don't make a 4 channel one do they? If you could point me to a good radio with servo that would be a HUGE help.
[link=http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM6600]radio[/link] would that work.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Birman

Don't go with a 4 channel radio system if you can help it. You'll only regret it later on down the line when you're ready for a larger plane with more control surfaces such as flaps and possible retractable landing gear. In my opinion, a 4 channel is a waste of money if you're really serious about RC because you'll wanting a system with more channels at some point and that means more money. Go with a system like the Spektrum DX7 or the Futaba version. Several guys in my club including me are using 2.4 Ghz and have not had a problem with them. The Spektrum comes with DS 821 servos.

Which ever way you go, good luck...

Birman
Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
blitzskiff

is there any difference between the futaba and the Spektrum? Are futaba and spektrum servo's any good? or should I get hitec?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Birman

The difference between Spektrum (JR) and Futaba is like the difference between Ford and Chevy. The servos that come with the Spektrum DS 821 have far more torque than the S3151 servos that come with the Futaba. Again, it's a matter of you pays ur money and makes ur choice. Personally I like the Spektrum (JR) line of radios. I'm using the JR X9303 2,4 Ghz radio.

Birman
Old 05-26-2008, 07:12 PM
blitzskiff

man i was hope for a diffance so i could just pick one I don't get this whole torque vs high speed thing. Which is better for a .60 trainer?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Birman

The DS 821 is a servo you'll be able to use on other planes later on down the line. I have a ALPHA 60 with DS 821 servos in it.

Birman
Old 05-26-2008, 07:19 PM
blitzskiff

sweet I have always been a fan of spektrum but can they buddy box with another spekturm radio of the same or greater number of channels? Also i know this is a little off topic but what3s a good engine to put in the alpha 60?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Birman

Yes, the Spektrum can be used with or as a buddy box using another Spektrum or JR.

I have a OS .61 FX in my Aplha 60. A real sweet combination.

Birman
Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 PM
blitzskiff

Yeah i was think of that or the evolution. Do I get same servo for all control surfaces? sorry for all the question I have never build a plane ARF before and is very new to planes.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:26 AM
Gringo Flyer

The servos that come with the radio will be fine for all control surfaces on those planes.

If you plane on staying in the hobby for a while a basic computer radio is nice. 4 channel radios arent good for much more than trainers. Also, I would seriously look at a 2.4 radio. I dont have one myself but if I was just getting in to the hobby thats the way to go.

Also, you dont need a top of the line with all the bells and whistles radio. I see guys at the field with these high dollar radios that they have no idea even how to program. A nice 7 channel radio with dual rates, expo, mixes, and other basic features will take you a long way into the hobby and save you several hundred dollars.

I am not familiar with any of the newer radios out as I havent bought a radio in over 4 years, so I will let the other guys chime in on that. I currently use a Futaba 7C which I really like.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:44 AM
blitzskiff

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

The servos that come with the radio will be fine for all control surfaces on those planes.

If you plane on staying in the hobby for a while a basic computer radio is nice. 4 channel radios arent good for much more than trainers. Also, I would seriously look at a 2.4 radio. I dont have one myself but if I was just getting in to the hobby thats the way to go.

Also, you dont need a top of the line with all the bells and whistles radio. I see guys at the field with these high dollar radios that they have no idea even how to program. A nice 7 channel radio with dual rates, expo, mixes, and other basic features will take you a long way into the hobby and save you several hundred dollars.

I am not familiar with any of the newer radios out as I havent bought a radio in over 4 years, so I will let the other guys chime in on that. I currently use a Futaba 7C which I really like.
all's i want in a radio is something that I could use in a scale warbird like the hanger 9 spitfire later on down the line. I like the spektrum because it has 4 servo's and receiver if there's any better radio out please tell me i only want one that will last me a few planes.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Gringo Flyer

Techincally, a 4 channel radio will fly a hangar 9 warbird but its not ideal. Its really better to have a radio that you can program trim and such for each model. Also, a 4 channel radio will not allow you to use flaps or retracts.

The spektrum radio is fine, but you will find that all radios come with 4 servos, battery, switch, and rx.

Again, look for a 7 channel computerized radio. JR, Futaba, Hitec all have options that fit the bill.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:03 PM
bradybsw

There is a new line of servos called Pulse carried by www.loganvillehobbies.com. They have the P310 that is a dual ball bearing nylon gear corless servo that has a stall torque of 83 oz/in for just under $15.00. I have about 10 of these servos in several planes and I love them, they are fast, smooth and glitch free.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:03 PM
blitzskiff

that is one sweet value.