Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spektrum burning servos

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spektrum burning servos

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 AM
bradybsw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum burning servos

Has anyone had a problem with spektrum receivers burning servos. I have a DX7 with the AR7000 receiver in a dragon 90 by kangke. I was flying in my back yard last night after installing the spektrum and after 10 mins burned a rudder servo, I say burn up but it was glitching real bad at half to full throttle, the plane was very hard to fly. So I brought it down and swaped out rudder servo with new futaba 3010 and was in a rock solid hover after about 5 mins of flying and the plane twisted hard toward me, I saved the plane but the rudder servo went to full deflection stuck there. When I turned the power off I could move the servo no problem but when I turned it back on it would go to full deflection. I think it is odd to have two servos go out on the same channel within 20 mins. Is it just me?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum burning servos

I can not figure any possible combination of things that would cause any receiver/servo connection to cause a problem such as you have described. If it had ever worked properly (yours apparently did work correctly for a bit of time) there is no combination of problems that would burn out a servo. If it never worked (if the positive and negative leads got reversed) then it would definately burn out the servo but there is no way that could have happened. The only reasonable thing that would cause the problems as you narrated them would be to have something binding or jamming the servos while they were under power.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:00 AM
bradybsw

Thanks for the information. The only other thing I can add is that the this was only the fourth flight with the receiver new out of the box. The very first flight on the plane I tested all controls before starting the engine, set the plane on the flight line, started the engine and had no rudder control. I unplugged the rudder and checked the connections and plug it in and it seemed to work fine like it was a loose connection. the second flight no problem, the third flight I had the first servo proble and the fourth flight had the second servo problem.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:42 PM
The Ghost

Only had that happen once in over 40 years. Had a gyro on the rudder and overheated the servo and burnt out the motor in it. You don't say what power sorce or what else you are using. A binding control surface will overload a servo and posiable burn out.

Cheers
Old 05-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Very interesting....I just got off the phone with my buddy who's lost two tail rotor servos on his small electric helicopter in a matter of days. Not a 2.4 gHz radio, but there IS a gyro in there......
Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are using a BEC (not seperate battery for servos) and the BEC could be putting out to high a voltage for the servos. If the BEC voltage is high enough, this could burn out your servos.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Villa

Hi bradybsw
That is a serious problem. As someone just asked, please check the voltage to the servos and let us know.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 AM
bradybsw

I running a 4.8 spektrum NiCD that came with the radio. A full charge it may peak around 5.2 or so but I would not think this would be enough power to damage a servo. Like I said both servos were on the rudder channel and there is no binding on the control at all, the servo will not travel enough to even bind the rudder at full deflection. I am lost. I installed new servo last night and cycled it for an hour straight with no problem, so Im not sure whats going on here,