Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

expanding Nyrod

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

expanding Nyrod

Old 06-05-2008, 09:00 PM
trickydevil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default expanding Nyrod

I'm having trouble with the nyrods that control the ailerons expanding in the heat and upsetting the aileron trim.(They both droop). Is there a replacement product that I can replace the inner nyrod with? Or does anyone have another solution? Has anyone else had this problem and if so what happened when you flew the plane, do they cool in flight and contract, correcting the trim issue?

Thanks in advance

Richard
Old 06-05-2008, 09:40 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: expanding Nyrod

When the seasons change I usually have a trim change, but then it is good until the next big change. They wont change in flight; you have to adjust before. The airframe and the rods expand at different rates but they both do it; the secret is to find something that does the same rate, maybe carbon fiber?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Dsegal

I ended all heat and moisture related control rod problems by using Sullivan Products carbon-filled pushrods. They cost more and are less flexible than the nylon rods. See http://www.sullivanproducts.com/
Old 06-06-2008, 01:52 PM
scratchonly

I use a 1/16 music wire inside the inner nyrod; very positive control.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:23 PM
trickydevil

Thanks for the replies, I have ordered some of the sullivan carbon pushrods to try.
FWIW my ailerons are in a scale plane (BT Kingfisher) and have concealed linkages, so have a very short "moment arm". The result of this was the ailerons were drooping different amounts in different temps, e.g. it was 25deg.C when I last went flying and the ailerons were drooping over 5mm! , when it was a few deg. cooler they drooped about half that amount. So I would have to keep retrimming depending on how warm it was. So I decided not to fly until I got this issue sorted.

Thanks again,

Richard
Old 06-06-2008, 09:56 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

That will take care of the problem for sure. I had the Sullivan golden rods. If there was a big change in temp- quite often around here- It would start to fly out of trim. Going from winter to summer required adjusting the rod length at the clevice. Went with the Sullivan carbon and haven't touched anything since.
Have fun!