Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What Plane

Old 06-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Jackedman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Plane

Ok I'm training right now but im also looking into planes that i want to build for nexted year after im done training this year. Now I wanted to know would an 40size or 60 size be better for an second plane? Im looking at the extra 300s kits and the yak. Now im looking for any ideas for plane that i can build and along the lines of the two planes i just said . Anything will help in what i pick

Thanks

B
Old 06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Flying freak

Default RE: What Plane

Do you mean this as a second plane?

extras and yakes (and for that matter other scale planes of the same type) are generally not seen as good second planes...

when you say build do you mean kit or arf?

Steven
Old 06-24-2008, 03:13 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

i would say get a sig four star 40 or 60 for a second plane. then proceed from there. it all remains to be seen on what your skill level is as well because my second plane was a bit faster and more aerobatic that the four star. I had spent a lot of time on the simulator. you might do better to get advice from someone who watches you fly. also concur about yak's and extras not making good second planes.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:38 PM
jay2000dakota

I would have to agree that neither of those planes are "second" planes, but the 60 Carl Gold. 300s flys very well and could be made more easy to fly if your set up was right. My peferance is 4 stoke or gas power, 60 size models or bigger for the simple reason that they are more stable and easyier to see. a 60 size four star with a Saito 125 would be a good choice, In the end Carlosponti is right about your skill, someone who knows your skills might be able to help.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Jackedman

carlosponti the four star looks like eagle 2 but with the wing on the bottom and not on top.

jay2000dakota other than the 300s what would be a good plane along those lines to look into. I don't have the money to buy an second plane get better than buy an third one you know what i mean. What im doing is keeping my trainer well im building this next one and then slowly starting to fly with the 300s or something along those lines you know i just wasnt going to jump into the 300s right after training thats just nuts and a complete waste of money
Old 06-25-2008, 07:28 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jackedman
I don't have the money to buy an second plane get better than buy an third one you know what i mean.

Failure to climb the airmanship ladder one step at a time is the most expensive route possible and also always results in the greatest expendature of of money as well as greater frustration by the time you reach any given skill level.

Can you skip rungs in the ladder? sure. can you do it? sure. but the holes in your skills will always catch up with you in the end and thats your wallet.

John
Old 06-26-2008, 10:18 AM
carlosponti

carlosponti the four star looks like eagle 2 but with the wing on the bottom and not on top.

jay2000dakota other than the 300s what would be a good plane along those lines to look into. I don't have the money to buy an second plane get better than buy an third one you know what i mean. What im doing is keeping my trainer well im building this next one and then slowly starting to fly with the 300s or something along those lines you know i just wasnt going to jump into the 300s right after training thats just nuts and a complete waste of money
four star is a symmetrical airfoil not flattish bottomed(like an eagle 2) and low winged both are good attributes in second plane. Believe it or not a low wing airplane has some different challenges over high wing. I know it looks plane but you wont be disappointed and you will get to a extra or yak soon enough.

you can also clip one bay from the wing tip on both halves of the wing for increased roll rate and when you finish building put your trainer parts in it and go fly. all the cost to you is a plane then you can look to your third and the expense is in getting radio and engine for the third. plus then after you fly the four star and move up you can sell both the eagle 2 an four star at a local swap meet. I sold my trainer that way. someone is always looking for a trainer and you can recoup some of the cost from the four star eventually when you sell both it and trainer.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Jackedman

ORIGINAL: carlosponti

four star is a symmetrical airfoil not flattish bottomed(like an eagle 2) and low winged both are good attributes in second plane. Believe it or not a low wing airplane has some different challenges over high wing. I know it looks plane but you wont be disappointed and you will get to a extra or yak soon enough.

you can also clip one bay from the wing tip on both halves of the wing for increased roll rate and when you finish building put your trainer parts in it and go fly. all the cost to you is a plane then you can look to your third and the expense is in getting radio and engine for the third. plus then after you fly the four star and move up you can sell both the eagle 2 an four star at a local swap meet. I sold my trainer that way. someone is always looking for a trainer and you can recoup some of the cost from the four star eventually when you sell both it and trainer.
That is true but is there anything like that but more rounded and should i talk to my trainers and see what they say on what type of plane i should get next
Old 06-26-2008, 01:12 PM
JohnBuckner

should i talk to my trainers and see what they say on what type of plane i should get next

That is your best idea yet.

John
Old 06-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Jackedman

I talked to my head trainer last night and told him what i want to buy as my second plane and he told me to give my head a shake and told me im crazy and to look into the four star 40
Old 06-27-2008, 02:30 PM
JohnBuckner

sounds like he is a wise and experianced instructor/mentor.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 PM
carlosponti

you wont be dissapointed. i know they dont look like much fun but dont discount them on looks. they are superb fliers.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Flying freak

You coudl also look into the super sportster...

Steven
Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 PM
justlift

I am new to flying also and i am learning on a H9 pulse 60lx great flying plain ween i toke it to the field the trainer said i was nuts for buying the plain for a starter plain but after he flew it he said it flys better that most trainers i put a OS 65 motor on it with a 12-6 prop nothing two crazy. it is a very stable flyer. It is a taildragger also you can go from mild to wild but a great plain.

now as i said i am new to flying but got Heli experience but this is a great flying plain you
Old 06-27-2008, 10:03 PM
feldme

Goldberg Tiger 2 makes a GREAT second plane. 40 size economy and tricycle gear. Going to low wing AND tail dragger ie sportster is a big but doable jump but landing gear setup on sportster isn't that forgiving. A stik is always an option. The plane even ARFs are not very expensive but crashing and not being in the air is costly in frustration and skill loss. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Jackedman

ok thanks guys for your input on this but how much is landing with an tail dragger
Old 06-29-2008, 08:25 PM
carlosponti

landing on a tail dragger is more difficult than trikes because you have to ride on the mains till the tail comes down. its a necessary step in learning how to fly however. And frankly now that I fly a tail dragger I wont go back to trike because i like it better.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Jackedman

ORIGINAL: carlosponti

landing on a tail dragger is more difficult than trikes because you have to ride on the mains till the tail comes down. its a necessary step in learning how to fly however. And frankly now that I fly a tail dragger I wont go back to trike because i like it better.
So how long did it take you to learn how to land an tail dragger? Im an fast learner so im hoping not too long
Old 06-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I jumped into a low wing tail dragger after a month and a half of RC flying. I got a Phoenix Dolphin, which is a copy of the Sig Four Star. I don't notice landing to be any harder. I asked the guys at the field before my maiden flight, and they said nothing different, just take off and land. The tail comes up on it's own when taxiing, and you land on the main wheels just like with a trike, and fly it until it's settled.

Am I missing something here?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:21 PM
carlosponti

it didnt take long at all just taking it easy the first couple of flights. main thing is before you have enough speed to get the tail up bot ground looping some planes are worse than others. and it depends on the field. i.e. small wheels on a grass field etc. three point landings are more difficult. my third plane was an ultrasport 40+ tail dragger.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:27 PM
dditch

I had a big stick back in '91 as my second plane. Many of the club members flew them. This was back when there were not too many ARFs available.
My 2 kids are flying now. I won't let them fly my planes (they have their own trainer and 18 years later, I still have my Trainer in flyable condition) and I'll get them a stick for one of their 2nd planes. A little dihedral, symetrical wing and not that expensive I think is a good criteria for a 2nd plane. .60 or .40 size is a matter of what you can afford and stuff in your vehicle. Bigger tends to be more stable in the wind and will give you a lower limit to the field conditions you need to fly.
I think the key for a 2nd plane is that your going to start to "try stuff". I don't think you want to be TOO worried about crashing it if or you won't "TRY STUFF".
Had a Sportster after that, foam P-40 ARF (what a piece of junk that was. I hope Tower does not still sell it). 2 years later, I came back to the stick, kept flying it every day after work till I piled it into the runway getting too "comfortable" flying inverted. I was dissapointed but not too upset. It had more than did it's job.

Now adays, ARFs are so darn cheap compared to what I shelled out in kits, glue, misc stuff. I'm amazed.

Make this your 2nd plane and not your last plane. Fly your 2nd plane and have your trainer to come back to if (or shall I say when) the 2nd plane crashes.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Jackedman

dditch I like the way you said that . so going big isn't alway the right thing to do

Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 AM
TNRabbit

The 4 Star 60 is a great subsequent plane because it is a lot larger & easier to see, so you can fly higher & have some extra "seconds" between you and the ground. Also, it's a very forgiving (except the aforementioned tail dragger difficulties) airframe..

My second plane was a 4*40 it was great. You could loaf around all day at 1/4 throttle or burn the air up. I had a Rossi .45 engine whiich screamed & would pull it straight up at least 400 meters. But when it came time to land, it would float right down light a feather; INCREDIBLE hang time! I added an access panel in the bottom of mine & included two 5-cell packs for a redundant battery system, as well as a larger fuel tank. It was a great plane until the wing spar snapped in flight (that's what I get for buying a pre-assembled kit from ebay! they had used CA on the spar; DOH!)
Old 07-22-2008, 02:30 AM
twowings53

A stick 40 or 60 size are good performers and forgiving! It's better to learn to walk before you run.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another 4 Star fan here. I love to fly my Four Star 60. I'm on my 2nd one. It's easy enough to land that a relatively novice pilot can do it but capable enough in the air that you won't lose interest in it for a while. Lots of "old-timers" with tons of experience still like to fly them. It's a good design that's well proven and with a few mods, can be even better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.