Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2.4ghz radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:20 PM
mrbsltz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4ghz radio

I looking at getting a 7 channel 2.4ghz radio, sort of looklng at the Futuba T7c and the Sprectrum DX7. Can anyone think of one having advantages over the other?
I'm flying the old Airtronics system now, so none of my stuff will match.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:28 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: 2.4ghz radio

Have you looked at the new Airtronics 8 channel 2.4 Ghz system??

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=995[/link]

I've flown Airtronics for about 12 years now and this one it one of their best. It's a great radio at a good price.

Ken
Old 06-28-2008, 11:49 PM
dragonweyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I am looking at getting the Futaba 2.4 12FGA at $1100; or for the money should I spend the extra $300 ($1400) and get the 2.4 12Z instead?

The extra $1000 ($2200) for the 14MZ is just out of the question.

I am new to the hobby sort of (just got my wings). Been wanting to fly for 25 years have finally been able to put time and money together and love building scale warplanes. That is why I am looking at getting a large 12ch system, don't need it now but will at sometime. Only have one plane flying right now so don't need a dual 72MHz and 2.4GHz radio just a 2.4 will do I'll change the one plane instead.

Any suggestions out there? Been comparing JR and Futaba till my head spins, finally settled on Futaba listed 12FGA and 12Z and 14MZ side by side the 12Z does somethings the 12FGA doesn't. I could really use some one very knowlegable between these radios, Futaba just sends me to the FAQ page, and I am still scratching my head. Still don't know what mode 1 and mode 2 means.

Doug.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:55 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Futaba vs Spektrum is sort of the old Ford/Chevy debate. I'm a Futaba fan, but I do have both a DX-7 and a Futaba 2.4 module in my 9C Tx. I like the Futaba better mainly because the Tx is easier to program and has more possibilites than the Spektrum. I also have some concerns regarding lockouts on the Spektrum. I've lost a plane to a Spektrum "brownout", or lockout, and can't figure out why it happened, as my battery had been fully charged immediately prior to takeoff, and had plenty of capacity, etc. I'm changing the one plane I have left on Spektrum over to the Futaba 2.4 system, and then selling the Spektrum.

Any particular reason you think you'll need 12 channels? Have you looked at the new 10C Futaba? This will give you plenty of channels for most any warbird, and save you a bunch of $$$$ over the 12Z, enough to buy a couple more Rx.

Difference in Mode I and Mode II is the way the "sticks" are set up. Mode II is the way most people on this side of the pond fly, right stick is elevator/aileron, left stick is throttle/rudder. I forget how Mode I is set up but I think aileron is on left stick and rudder is on the right.