Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Wattsup, whats it telling me re battery

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wattsup, whats it telling me re battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:47 PM
abbydawn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wattsup, whats it telling me re battery

Newbie here. I bench run a 910 Mah 15C on my Cox Cristen Eagle to LVC and got these Wattsup results, 8.6Wh, 0.823Ah, 161.7Wp and 16.13 Ap. Question is what is it telling me in regards to the lipo? It was fully balanced charged to 12.45V. It took approx 7 minutes to LVC.
Thx, Gary
Old 07-03-2008, 08:09 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Wattsup, whats it telling me re battery

The .823Ah reading is telling you that you are getting almost all the rated capacity (.910Ah) from the pack. This is typical. In a year when you do this again, the capacity may have dropped down to .4 or something. At least that's been my experience. As packs get older, they don't hold as much. I think the 16.13 Ap must stand for "Amps - peak". So if I'm right, your system was drawing 16 amps at some time during the test. This is about 18 times the pack capacity (16 divided by .91). So this is also close to the rated discharge rate (that's the 15C on the label). If you continously run at 16 Amps, the pack won't last very long. I find that when a pack is rated at 15C they usually don't really like being discharged at 15C continously. Was the pack pretty warm when you were done?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:22 PM
abbydawn

Default RE: Wattsup, whats it telling me re battery

"Was the pack pretty warm when you were done?"

I would say luke warm. I tried to simulate a flight varying the throttle. I was curious if the .823Ah was typical and you have confirmed it is for the rated capacity of the lipo. I did overstress the motor a bit (rated at 15A max) and it felt quite hot. Probably should reduce the prop size a bit.
Thx DM for the help.