Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Where to get long exhaust deflector?

Old 05-14-2003, 10:43 AM
KadetBuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Where to get long exhaust deflector?

Hi...

I'm looking for an exhaust deflector to fit on a OS .46FX on my Senior kadet....I have tried the dubro one but it really isn't long enough to avoid getting oil all over the fuselage. Another reason why I need a long deflector is that i have a camera mounted under the fuselage (just under the cg) and I don't really want to get oil in my 1200 camera!!

If I just attach say a 1 foot length of silicone tubing to the exhaust, will it seriously affect the engine performance?
what about this stuff?>>>
http://www.aerotrend.com/shop_exhauststacks.htm

Any ideas?
Old 05-14-2003, 01:09 PM
jettstarblue

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Caution!

KB,

Careful here, if the tube gets to long, it will severely cut down on power, and the engine will run much hotter. Having said that, Go to your local hobby shop, and get a piece of blue silicone tubing, the correct size to fit tightly over the exaust outlet. Use a nylon "zippy tie" to hold it on, also, a dab of high temp. silicon sealer, will hold it on, just make sure the metal is spotless before you "glue" it on.
Just a thought, you could point the exaust up, and toward the other side of the plane, this is what I have done in the past with my "skycam"

Jetts
Old 05-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Tattoo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use automotive fuel tubing for exhaust extensions. It's also worth a stop at a pet store...they have some of the large sizes of silicon tubing if the LHS doesn't. (hint...the pet store may also sell fuel tubing lots cheaper)
Old 05-14-2003, 03:38 PM
BillHarris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check the Macs mufflers website. They have flex pipe extensions for four-strokes, but also tuned pipes for 2-strokes that you could use to diver the oily exhaust from your camera.

Alternatively, you could re-align the existing muffler outlet (w/ extension) so that the exhaust goes up and over the wing (away from the camera).

http://www.macspro.com/