Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Glowbee intellitach problem

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Glowbee intellitach problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:47 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glowbee intellitach problem

This tach is showing anywhere fro 25000-40000 rpms on my G-26 with a 16x8 prop. Now I know the engine isnt running that high. Does anyone have one of these tachs, or is it just an unreliable piece of junk. Ive replaced the battery,,but to no avail. On the other hand is there another one on the market that is more reliable?

ThanksTAZZZZ[sm=pirate.gif]
Old 07-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Glowbee intellitach problem

I have seen A couple that worked but for the most part JUNK!!! I have one under the bench with two other junkers. In my case I work on too many four strokes to be fooling around so I finally broke down and bought the TNC Tach. At A hundred bucks A pop it isn't for everyone.
I have tested A couple of the Digital Voltmeter/Tachs sold by Hanger 9 or Horizon for $46.00 and so far I would say they are pretty good for the price. They do sometimes have A problem in some light conditions but I just moved the planes until they worked. The readings were right about dead on to my TNC.
These are the only two I have found that worked very well, the TNC all the time too!!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:22 PM
chashint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: tazzzz
This tach is showing anywhere fro 25000-40000 rpms on my G-26 with a 16x8 prop. Now I know the engine isnt running that high. Does anyone have one of these tachs, or is it just an unreliable piece of junk. Ive replaced the battery,,but to no avail. On the other hand is there another one on the market that is more reliable? ThanksTAZZZZ[sm=pirate.gif]
I have not had issue with the Glow Bee tach.
Is this in sunlight only ?
Electrical lighting will produce artifically high numbers point it at any electric powered light, should read 3600, if it does then it ain't broke.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If that is A fact then I have three tachs under my bench that aint broke! All four of my tachs read 36 pointed at A FLORESCENT light, only one of them works in the real world all the time.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:31 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have one and been using it for about a year now. I rather like it and its been consistantly reliable, I really enjoy the tilt up screen.

What I think you are doing is getting the wrong blade setting. It will read up to four blades and there is a rather complicated procedure to have it read the same default setting for number of blades each time you turn it on. This may also be complicated by the feature for it to store in memory readings.

It can can lose default settings easily if you get careles on button pushs. I don,t use the additional features but have had to reset it a few times. When I got careless. A careful reading of the instructions will clear everything up.

John
Old 07-16-2008, 07:12 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I got one when they first came out. It read the florescent light ok. But gave you readings all over the place. Hard to get the same reading twice. Took it back to the hobby shop and got my money back.
Edwin
Old 07-16-2008, 10:03 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

I've had good results with my Glowbee tach for a few years now.

If you're taking readings where electrical light might be an issue, hold a battery operated flashlight in front of the prop to shine on the tach as a primary light source.

somegeek
Old 07-17-2008, 04:35 PM
tazzzz

The directions are very vague,,and I do have it on 2-blade,,I just cant get the thing to work properly. I use it for the most part with the sun to my back. Its just insisting to read 25-40 thousand rpms.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:34 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If your sure its set on two blade and you still consistantly reads thos number then it probably time to return it.

John
Old 07-17-2008, 11:38 PM
chashint

Hold the tach so it sees the sky as the background to the prop, when there is strong backlight it makes it harder for the tach to see the prop if the background is dark like the ground or a treeline.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:43 PM
KW_Counter

Gray Beard,
Sounds like they are working correctly.
Flourescents fire 3600 time a minute.
60 cycles at positive times 60 cycles negative.
It's a grat way to check your meters to make sure they are accurate.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter