Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hobby Stores in San Francisco

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hobby Stores in San Francisco

Old 07-17-2008, 08:56 PM
richard melen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Stores in San Francisco

Will visit San Francisco and would like to know any good stores in or around San Fran. Stores that keeps both ARF and kits in stock as well as parts as retracts and so on.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:14 PM
bayareajeff

Default RE: Hobby Stores in San Francisco

Hey there...
There is a Hobby Town in Concord (hour east of SF)
http://www.htubayarea.com/main.htm
THey have a good supply..
Used to be sheldons... in San Jose.. I am not sure what they have any more..

Here is another list

http://www.ipmssantarosa.org/shops.htm
Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sheldons used to be the biggie.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:49 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheldon's is still a big one in the south bay area. Worth the trip, but kits are a bit harder to find where ever you go. Lots of ARFs and a ton of parts and accessories. Have a good time.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 PM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Its been a while since I lived in the Bay Area but wasn't there a pretty big shop in Milpitas called San Antonio Hobbies? Maybe I'm thinking of Sheldon's.

FWIW, a round trip from SF to San Jose is 3 hours and there are a lot more interesting things to see there than boxes of airplane stuff if your only there for a very short time.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:19 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sheldons has changed ownership and moved from what I understand. I know they liquidated quite a bit of stuff. From what I hear, it is nowhere near what it used to be. I haven't been there in a couple years myself though so I don't know for certain.

This may be quite a ways inland but RC Country in Sacramento is a large store with a lot of inventory.

This may also get better responses in the Q&A forum.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:32 PM
JimInCA

ORIGINAL: CrateCruncher

Its been a while since I lived in the Bay Area but wasn't there a pretty big shop in Milpitas called San Antonio Hobbies? Maybe I'm thinking of Sheldon's.

FWIW, a round trip from SF to San Jose is 3 hours and there are a lot more interesting things to see there than boxes of airplane stuff if your only there for a very short time.
San Antonio Hobbies use to be in Mountain View, but they closed a couple of years ago. Rumor had it that the owner had passed away an no one wanted to take over the store.

Sheldon's is still open under new ownership, but it's nothing close to what is use to be. And the new store seems to be getting junkier and junkier with time. It's getting harder to walk around the store and find what you need with all of the junk that they've place in the aisles. And that's a shame...

Jim...
Old 07-18-2008, 09:43 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there's also J&M Hobby House in San Carlos there hit and miss for kits but they could order something for you if your interested in one particular kit here's the info.
J&M Hobby House
1660 laurel st.
San Carlos,Calif. 94070
ph# 650-593-5019
fax#650-593-5164

there's also Franciscan Hobbies
not real strong on kits but always willing to order anything that you need on request they do have alot of electric stuff and some arf planes it always pays to call first if your planning on shopping for some particular items.
Franciscan Hobbies
1920A Ocean avenue
San Francisco,Calif 94127
tel#415-584-3919
Old 07-19-2008, 05:50 AM
akpilot

ORIGINAL: JimInCA

ORIGINAL: CrateCruncher

San Antonio Hobbies use to be in Mountain View, but they closed a couple of years ago. Rumor had it that the owner had passed away an no one wanted to take over the store.

Sheldon's is still open under new ownership, but it's nothing close to what is use to be. And the new store seems to be getting junkier and junkier with time. It's getting harder to walk around the store and find what you need with all of the junk that they've place in the aisles. And that's a shame...

Jim...

Jim,

Thanks for the update. I grew up in the Bay Area and can't believe San Antonio Hobbies went under. For me, it was Mecca. As for Sheldon's well, it was always okay for me, but that doesn't sound good in the least.

At least now I know where to go, when I come home to visit the family.