Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

I have a couple of questions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

I have a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 11:38 PM
NewbieFlyingMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a couple of questions

Well, i have been thinking lately, and have just now decided to buy me an RC plane soon. I am 14 and am getting one for my birthday, but i live in a very crappy area for finding trainers, so i probably will not even fool with one. Yes, i know that this is pretty stupid of me, but i figure that since i can fly a plane succesfully on an RC flight simulator program i downloaded, that i might be able to successfully fly an actual RC plane. Do you think that someone my age would be able to learn how to fly one quickly? I can fly planes extremely well on the simulator i downloaded and also on Battlefield 1942, on which you have to fly a plane very similar to the way you do on the simulator.
thanx for any help.

-Matthew
Old 05-19-2003, 12:02 AM
SDR-Hammer

Matthew I’m sure many folks will chime in here real soon but I’m going to throw in my two cents worth.

Teaching yourself to fly… I wouldn’t advise it. Unless your fairly wealthy and know how to repair model airplanes.

Simulators can shorten the learning curve but they cannot replace the actual thing. There is a lot more to flying R/C models than putting up in the air and bringing it back down in one piece. Such as setting up the airplane, learning safe starting procedures etc.

If your serious about getting into R/C find a local club and seek help before you buy any equipment. I have a son that is thirteen that I’m teaching right now even though he’s a wiz on computer games there is no way he could have taught himself at least not without much frustration crashing and rebuilding.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:18 AM
f4 phantom

Matthew,go to the ama website look for club's in your area then go there I'm sure you will be able to find many people willing to teach you to fly.also talk to them and get there advise on planes,radio's,engines,etc. your best bet to learn to fly is to start with a trainer,there are many good trainers to choose from.I started with a pt-40. but even with a trainer you should get help to fly it. flying is not easy when you are starting there are a lot of things going on at once. also you need to know how to handle the plane safetly when starting etc. bottom line is get the right plane and get help it will be more fun for you in the long run. welcome to this great hobbie.have fun. Later F-4
Old 05-19-2003, 12:50 AM
NewbieFlyingMan

Default thanx so far

thank you s4 and SDR!!
Old 05-19-2003, 01:10 AM
tunnelvishon

Matthew,

I do not disagree with the other members in the importance of getting a knowlegeble person to help you...this is important when you fly serious and potentially dangerous stuff.
If you are adament about doing it on your own...this is what I did. I purchased one of those cheapy foam planes from wallmart...I believe it was called the Intruder. It cost me about 40 bucks. It was not big and it had two electric motors on it and came with a field charger and transmitter. The controls were not sophisticated...left and right turns were made with the motors running at different speeds and the transmitter had a thrust and land button for making it climb and come back down. recharging takes 2 1/2 minutes and flights are about a minute and change.
This plane is virtually indestructable and challenging to learn on because the wind will toss it around and the controls are kind of crude. I learned many of the basics from trial and error in my back yard...like turning on your transmitter first...judging distance to trees...flying in the sun...reverse steering for oncoming plane...climbing trees, and not having a big rotweiler that retrieves things around (crunch) ect.... I even clipped my fingers with the prop and it hurt but dit not result in injury ....a forgiving way to learn and contemplate. I do however live out in the country so my worries about hitting anyone but myself was nil.
Flying my first serious plane after that was not that big of a learning curve any more.
Like the other members have said there is more to this than just flying though...you have to be aware of other people, rules, and safety procedures so a tutor and an AMA membership would be a wise thing to get...good luck!
Old 05-19-2003, 01:42 AM
NewbieFlyingMan

thank you nupes!

You guys have helped me a lot. I will be looking for a trainer and HOPEFULLY find one.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mathew:
If you HAVE to fly by yourself electric Zagi would be a good choice too. Can take a lot of abuse and keep on going. A lot of fun too.