Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

3W and AVGAS

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 10:39 PM
seafurymike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W and AVGAS

Hi,

Wondering if anyone does this and finds any benefits.
Someone mentioned that the timing requires adjusting???I have a 3W 75 and 42 that i wish to run on AVGAS.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:50 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3W and AVGAS

Compression is not high enough to benefit from it.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:02 AM
seafurymike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W and AVGAS

Sure, but i'm not looking for power, just better, cleaner running.
With unleaded gone over here, our lead replacement petrol is crap and the unleaded costs just as much as the AVGAS. So I figure why not run AVGAS and get the lead as well, will help keep the carby lubed and not kill the engine. Its the same octane when run rich, so power is not improved.
I was more after terminal side effects.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3W and AVGAS

The only benefit of AV GAS is that its smell is less offensive than automotive petrol.

AV GAS, is specifically designed to prevent vapor lock at high altitude and contains additives and longer hydrocarbon molecules that work best in a high compression engine. Using this fuel in a low compression engine may increase engine deposits because cylinder temps and pressures (due to low engine compression) are not high enough to fully combust the fuel mixture. You may be able to get away with it by advancing the engine timing a bit, which in this case, could give you a little extra power but it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion.

I tried AVGAS on a 3W-24 and I found it impossible to hand start and had to use a starter or ether to get the engine running when it was cold. I ended up dumping the fuel in my motorcycle to get rid of it.