Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Charging Batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Charging Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Wingspam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Batteries

What is the best way to charge NIMH batteries? I am currently using the Hobbico Quick Field DC Charger MkII 12 Volt, I charge the batteries at half there rating, and usually replace them every couple of months or so. I am using the HydriMax 5C 6V 2000mAh NiMH packs..

Is it better to use a slow charger or fast charger?

What slow charger is best for these batteries?

Is there a better battery to use?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Charging Batteries

For battery life slower is better. The best charger is the one you have. That is that chargers these days are very similar. You won't notice a difference between them unless your looking with some test equipment.
The batteries you are using are fine. Also no need to replace them so often. I have used the same batts in some of my models for years at a time before replacement.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Wingspam

A battery died on me yesterday while charging it, it was 3 months old... It started charging then alarmed it ws ready, hooked up the volt meter it wasn't even half way to being charged. So I restated the charger, 10 mins later it alarmed with an error, I checked the battery again it was hot as hell with no charge what so ever...

Is it better to charge batteries over night with a trickle charge? if so what charger to use.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both NiCad and NiMh benefit from an occasional slow charge (slow charge being defined as charging at o.1C for 16 hours). The term trickle charge is no informative as it has many meanings. The original definition of trickle charge was "that charge rate which just compensated for the leakage current of the battery" which is not a constant. It varies with the temperature, age, type of internal battery construction plus a few more variable along with age so is really a meaningless term unless all related conditions are also stated and exercised. All new nickle based cells should have this slow (sometimes called forming) charge before first use. It may take about three to five of these forming charges to bring a battery up to full potential with a controlled discharge at .2 to .25C down to 0.9 volts cell between forming charges.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Wingspam

So what charger is best for slow charging NIMH?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grant ED answered your question. The best charger is the one you presently have.