Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Mystery Biplane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Mystery Biplane

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:54 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Biplane

A friend in my club that Ive been flying with gave me this biplane a while ago at a fun fly, motor and all. (saito 45) He hadnt flown it for 20-25 years, and had shelved it cause it was too fast and crazy for him. He thought I might have better luck with it, and it turns out to be really fun to fly..... but I have no idea what it is. Has anyone seen one of these before? My friend didnt know what it was, as someone else had built it. I think it looks like what you might get if a WWI Biplane and some sort of Stick got together and had babies.......

Its about 34" long (not including engine) 44" wingspan, ailerons on the lower wing only, and both wings rubber band on. There are no interplane struts, just the cabane, which is a fairly heavy ply, maybe 3/16". Amazingly, the wings dont seem to flex any in flight, probably because they are fairly short, and very stiff.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50171.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1009471   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45052.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1009472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24151.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1009473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga78401.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1009474  
Old 08-12-2008, 07:34 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: Mystery Biplane

is it a homemade job? kinda odd that there aren't any wing tip braces between the wings
Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant say I recognize that one. Looks like a mix of ugly stick, 4 star and general ingenuity. Not a bad job.
Edwin
Old 08-12-2008, 12:24 PM
BadSplice

It could be a custom job. The sides of the fuse are plywood, and the way they were cut out, as well as the cabanes made me think it was a kit, but I could be wrong. Apparently the guy who built it was such a voracious builder that he couldnt get new kits fast enough to satisfy himself... He would ask club members to give him the kits they had sitting around, and a week or 2 later he'd give back a complete airplane. Could be he just took some of the leftovers and whipped them up into this thing sure is fun to fly anyway

I thought about trying to add interplane braces, but it flies pretty well without, and if it aint broken.... right? plus it makes it easier to get the wings on and off...
Old 08-12-2008, 12:39 PM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Cant say I recognize that one. Looks like a mix of ugly stick, 4 star and general ingenuity. Not a bad job.
Edwin
Yes I think the same
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
abacro

The plane you have is a fuse modified ( as in rounded out) Das Bipe Stick. They are a wonderful flying plane,and highly maneuverable!

hope this info helps you!

Art
Old 08-13-2008, 01:55 PM
BadSplice

Thanks! I knew it looked a lot like some kind of stick Would love to build another and make it lighter and with ailerons top & bottom for some more extreme flying