Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Old Engine questions

Old 05-19-2003, 02:03 AM
jw_j

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Old Engine questions

ok i have an engine from a sky tiger original kit, this engine is close to 2 decades probably older, well it hasnt been fired up in i know for a fact 19 years, and no after run oil put in, so naturally its frozen stiff you cant turn the prop shaft or get the head off, i need help on getting the engine unfrozen, so please help me out here any tips or remedies would help
Old 05-19-2003, 11:03 AM
Flypaper 2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try putting some rubbing alcohol in the carb and in the exhaust port. that will soften the congealed castor oil. Run it for five or ten minutes at fast idle and see how it works. Might be hard on it if you open it up right away.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:22 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default frozen engine

Fresh glow fuel and a warm up will do you well. Most likely the engine is stuck with old Castor oil and the fuel will dissolve it for the most part. Put the engine in a ziplock and submerge in hot water, the fuel should do the job w/out getting the engine wet. After you run it you should check the bearings if it's a ball bearing engine.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:15 AM
jw_j

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have it soaking in rubbing alcohol, this engine is 20+ years old, its so froze up you cant turn anything, i got the needle valve to turn with a pair of pliers but it was hard, the prop shaft wont turn at all, the entire engine, atleast what i can see with just the carb and pipe off is black, even the carb is black its a 2 stroke engine which is something i neglected to mention in the beginning
Old 05-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Scalebuff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my dad colects all the old stuff (takes him back to a golden age i think

so we have your problem day in day out so try this....

1. DO NOT!! FORCE ANYTHING!

If you try and force the prop round you may damage the bores and piston same with the carb

2. glow fuel is good but deisel fuel is way better... the etha in the diesel will eat through the gunge in no time..

drop some down the carb and the head...

one you fell movment in iether the prop or carb dont be tempted to cranck it round, rock it back and forth, soon enough your engine will be as free as the day it came out of the factory..

let us know how you get on
Old 05-20-2003, 02:20 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use marvel mystery oil to unlock frozen engines. Fill the carb, case and anything you can. Let it sit and then after a little while you can start trying to slowly move things. They will go slow at first and then loosen up nicely. Once I get them loose, I clean them with alcohol and a toothbrush to get everything out of them. Then put it back together and lube it up good with marvel. Works great.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:30 PM
jw_j

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok its been soaking in alcohol for about a day which is now black, the carb is still frozen stiff, same with the engine, the only problem with deisel is i have to go 50 mi. to get it, local gas station went bankrupt, but ill try desiel all i know is that its frozen stiff even after a day of soaking in pure alcohol
Old 05-20-2003, 07:20 PM
Scalebuff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

i meant model Engine deisel, not motor car deisel fuel, sorry about that i should be more specific

just nip down your LHS and get a smal bottle of deisel fuel for model engines, its not to expensive and you wont need mutch,

sorry about that

good luck
Old 05-21-2003, 03:14 AM
jw_j

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

once ive gotten the fuel what exactly should i do with it? that engine is frozen solid
Old 05-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Callidus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had an engine that was frozen solid, I also just put enought in a container to cover the entire engine, after a few hours it was perfectly free... Works a treat.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:10 PM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Want me to fix it for you?

I'll happily offer my time and abilities to get it unstuck and as good as it can possibly get in its current condition. I like to tinker with engines!

If you want to take this a bit further send me an email and I'll send you my address so you can send the engine to me for repair, then it will be sent back your way after I'm done. The only cost to you will be the postage to me.

The only problems I foresee is that if it is a BB engine the bearings are probably toast (need to be replaced) and if it is a ringed engine the ring might need to be replaced. BOCA Bearings is a good source for bearings if/when that time comes. If you sent it to me and the bearings were bad I could order them and install them, your only cost would be the bearings (which I get a 10% discount on and shipping is free). If the ring is bad, Frank Bowman is the ring-man. I'm sure he would treat you right under the circumstances.

...well?
Old 05-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default frozen engine

Can't beat that offer, dealt with Gene on a minor deal once, good guy. For gods sake stay away from that engine with pliers and other tools not intended for the fasteners on model engines. When I see an engine for sale and it shows those marks like chewed prop hubs, gowed up screws, etc. I won't pay much or maybe just decline any offer because it shows amateur treatment and who knows what having been done to it.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:43 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have always been able to unstick them with the heat gun . Really get it hot & with a glove & a prop on it keep working it . Then use some Alky in it . MAX H.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:03 PM
scottrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The two best remedies I used have been mentioned:

For really gummed up engines-
Soak in either diesel or for a more expensive approach, say for an expensive 4 stroke, use aircraft grade carb / mag / injector cleaner. Mineral spirits, alcohol, and other solvents will dry up and destroy any seals or plastic parts.

or, my favorite-

Immerse the entire engine in Marvel Mystery oil. Get it into the crab as well. If you cannot move the carb sleeve, then spray it really good with penetrating oil, WD 40 or better yet, Amsoil, then soak it in Mysteryoil.

After this process, everything loosens right up, good for the bearings, no forcing needed, and you might be able to save some seals.

For a final cleaning, I use PJ1 or BOSH injector cleaner, this is easier on the carb parts, wont pit or score the soft metals, nor would affect the chrome on the head or sleeve of ABC engines. Note the carb cleaners are much harsher to ABC engines, I have peeled the chrome right off using carb cleaner.

On a BB, 4 stroke, or ABC engine, DO NOT USE HEAT. This will cause further swelling of the bearings, damage the valve seats, and could again damage the piston and sleeve. Not to mention, its dangerous.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:24 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As I said, fill it with marvel mystery oil. You will be surprised how it works.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:36 AM
dasflugmodele

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have to agree with Big Max. Take the plug out soak it in oil for a day and then use a heat gun to loosen it up. I have done this with engines that have sat around for twenty years or more. They will come loose this way. If it is a ball bearing engine the bearings will more than likely need to be replaced. Take your time and do not try to rush the process. MAny enginesa are ruined with pliers and pipe wrenches.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:11 AM
jw_j

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok ill have to talk with my dad on that one, not sure what hell say, but it wont be any time soon, my truck just died and we were in a wreck today so... no telling when ill be able to get stuff sent out, not much damage to the car... as far as we can see but its still a wreck