Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

cg question?

Old 05-19-2003, 11:20 PM
flyfree69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default cg question?

exactly how do you move your cg back or forward on your plane ? is it just by adding weight in the tail or nose? ive heard of people moving their cg back and would like to know how they did it thanks larry
Old 05-19-2003, 11:31 PM
Stick Jammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default cg question?

The best way to make small CG changes is to shift the battery and/or receiver. Moving them further back will move the CG back and moving them forward will move the CG forward. Some planes you can shift servos around also. If you can't get the CG you are looking for by moving things around, then you'll have to add weight.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:46 AM
Papa Tango

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default cg question?

Flyfree,

I sounds to me like you're not understanding the relationship between CG (center of gravity) and CL (center of lift). CG is normally slightly forward of the aircraft's CL so that in the event of a stall the craft will nose over and achieve enough airspeed to have lift again. Placing the CG further aft will aid in aerobatic handling for certain types of manuveres, but at a price.

If you don't know where the center of lift for your aircraft is....

1) If you built from a kit, it will say on the plans.
2) you bought a plane pre-built and covered, CL is usually dead center to the main spar.
3) If you can't see the spar, a good guess would be 25% of the wing chord. The wing's chord is the distance from leading edge to trailing edge of the wing at the root (Part of wing closest to the fuselage).

Hope this helps