Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What do you call these things?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What do you call these things?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 11:50 AM
hardlanding7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you call these things?

These things attach to the servo arm and are designed to hold the wire which connects the control surface to the servo. They have a hole in the side where the wire goes through, and then a screw in the top that clamps down on the wire to hold it in place. Do you know what these are called?
Old 05-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Dsegal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are E-Z connectors. DuBro makes them.

Dave Segal
Old 05-18-2003, 01:25 PM
SDR-Hammer

If there used on an elevator servo I call them a crash waiting to happen.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Mustang Man-RCU

Hardlanding,
I agree with Sdr. I would not recommend using E-Z connectors on control surfaces. They can vibrate loose and you've had it. I use them ONLY on throttle applications. Some folks say "no problem using them on control surfaces" but it's only a matter of time. F.Y.I.
Steve
Old 05-18-2003, 08:37 PM
Stick Jammer

A little Locktite on the set screw and it ain't commin' off until you take it off. A nylon or steel clevis can also fail. Just like any other method, if it's done right, the chances of failure are slim.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:35 PM
Mustang Man-RCU

O.K. Your choice. Good luck
Steve
Old 05-19-2003, 02:51 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

"A little Locktite on the set screw and it ain't commin' off until you take it off. A nylon or steel clevis can also fail. Just like any other method, if it's done right, the chances of failure are slim."

Even Red locktite isn't good enough for me on a control surface... the only appropriate place for these connecters IMO is the throttle. I have never had or seen a properly installed nylon/steel clevis fail.... can't say the same for EZ connecters. The places people typically put EZ connecters is where Z-bends belong... nothing is easier, cheaper or more reliable than a Z-bend.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Stick Jammer

DMyer,
Has your EZ connector ever come loose on your throttle? My guess would be no if you're still using them. It's probably subjected to more vibration there than anywhere else on the plane. The problem most people have with Locktite is that they put it on and go fly, it needs to set up overnight. Just because you have never seen a nylon or steel clevis fail, doesn't prove that they don't. Everyone has there own favorite method of doing just about everything in this hobby, none are failure proof. Do you know for a fact that the EZ connectors you have seen fail were properly installed with Locktite?
Old 05-19-2003, 03:32 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HMMM, Just a matter of time...
How much time? I've been flying R/C for 35 years and have been using these connectors eversince they were available, often without loctite. And except for some Asian copies in the Kyosho Learjet, not fitting the holes in the servo output arm, I've NEVER had a failure of one of these linkages. So if they're soooo bad where's the proof of failure?
Old 05-19-2003, 03:41 PM
pinball-RCU

For .40 sized planes, I think EZ-connectors are probably as safe as a lot of other methods if they are installed correctly . And I don't think Loctite is required. But you need to make sure they are solidly connected to the servo arm, and that the push rod material is the right size and is soft enough that the screw can really bite into the rod, and that you tighten the screw solidly. I like the higher quality ones that use an allen wrench in the screw, and have a square barrel so you can hold the connector still while you bear down on the screw.

I would still use them on a trainer. There are two reasons. The first is that a trainer doesn't really put much stress on the control rods, and 2nd, trainers crash a lot and seem to need more fiddling with the linkages than more advanced planes.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Mustang Man
Some folks say "no problem using them on control surfaces" but it's only a matter of time.
I'm going on ten years and counting using them on my Ultrasport, and Super Skybolt.

Still waiting for the crash.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:02 PM
Mustang Man-RCU

O.K. guys, This is probably a waste of time as some folks think they're O.K. for control surfaces and if you're comfortable with that, go for it. Personally I dont use nylon clevis' on control surfaces either because I have seen them fail. But as you say NO method is foolproof. I sure like to cut down the odds though. So for me ,I'll stich with steel clevis' and Z-bends thank you.
Steve
Old 05-19-2003, 05:09 PM
David Cutler

Originally posted by Mustang Man
O.K. guys, This is probably a waste of time as some folks think they're O.K. for control surfaces and if you're comfortable with that, go for it. Personally I dont use nylon clevis' on control surfaces either because I have seen them fail. But as you say NO method is foolproof. I sure like to cut down the odds though. So for me ,I'll stich with steel clevis' and Z-bends thank you.
Steve
I agree Steve.

Also, what is simpler than using 2-56 threaded rods, with a Z bend at the servo end, and a screw threaded clevis at the other for adjustment?

Very simple, reliable, easy to install, and easy to adjust.

-David C.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:16 PM
Mustang Man-RCU

Dave,
nuff said
Steve
Old 05-19-2003, 09:36 PM
hardlanding7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not trying to start another argument, i'm just curious. How can you adjust a Z Bend? Once it's in there, it's in there for good.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:38 PM
David Cutler

Originally posted by hardlanding7
I'm not trying to start another argument, i'm just curious. How can you adjust a Z Bend? Once it's in there, it's in there for good.
Indeed, but almost all the time you can arrange it so that you adjust the other end.

-DC
Old 05-19-2003, 11:43 PM
Stick Jammer

originally posted by Mustang Man

So for me ,I'll stich with steel clevis' and Z-bends thank you.
A good pilot had his plane go in at our field just a few weeks ago from a broken steel clevis on the elevator. Another one went in last summer by another fellow, same thing. Is it common?...no, but it does happen. Maybe bad steel, who knows. They both split in half right at the base of the threads.