Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Dubro nylot bolts WAY TOO FRAGILE?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dubro nylot bolts WAY TOO FRAGILE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 06:19 PM
f2racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dubro nylot bolts WAY TOO FRAGILE?

I bought a bag of 4 of these to supplement some Great Planes nylon bolts that I have for holding on landing gear and the wings on my Dragon Lady 40. First flight out with them and a not too hard landing breaks the bolts holding on the landing gear. I swapped over to the GP nylon bolts and landed 10 times without issue. Does Dubro make crappy stuff? Or is it just the nylon bolts? Or is it just the nylon bolts that I got?
Old 03-16-2002, 09:41 PM
BingoFlyer

I have never had a problem with anything that Dubro makes, however, I have never used use nylon bolts to hold on a landing gear. On some of my larger planes I even use steel bolts for holding on the wing.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:03 PM
polarisRCU
Banned

Default Nylon vs. metal (aluminum ?) bolts for wings ??

I have "assembled" a Great Planes Easy Sport 40 ARF which came with metal wing bolts. This past weekend, I took it to the flight field, and was promptly told to replace them with nylon, so as to save the wings in the event of a BAD landing (wing edge stuff). Seeing that the DuBro nylon bolts didn't work for F2Racer, I wonder if I should listen to the suggestions made to me about swapping the metal for nylon wing bolts.... Any thoughts ??
:bananahea
Old 03-17-2002, 12:07 AM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

Hmmmm..... I thought nylon bolts were designed to snap off on a hard hit. Never seen them used on a landing gear, only on the wing tie-downs.
Old 03-17-2002, 12:25 AM
f2racer

They worked fine on the wings (they didn't snap when the landing gear went). I have a feeling that the Great Planes bolts simply have more "give" than the Dubro stuff. I do use tons and tons of Dubro stuff and I'm very happy with their products to date. I'll continue using their nylon bolts for the wings, but I'm going with Great Planes for the landing gear.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:30 AM
lownslo

Default OHHHH NO!!!!

Hello, F2Racer, I sure hope you just got just a few bad bolts and this is not the norm. I just came in from the workshop. I was cutting DuBro nylon bolts to size for my wings and landing gear.!!!! Just a thought...... The tighter you make your bolts, the more "stretch and pre-load" you are putting on them. IMO this can cause them to break easier. I have no tests to back this up.... just my opinion. ... lownslo

Bob
Old 03-17-2002, 05:18 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Default Nylon Bolts

I've read where the Dubro (black) nylon bolt have a weak SHEAR strength like that which you would experience on landing gear but have good tensile strength like you would need in a wing mounting situation. I use SIG bolts on the landing gear and Dubro's on the wing. I use two to hold the rear of the wing on a 15 lb. SIG Sukhoi and have never had a failure.
Old 03-18-2002, 03:22 AM
rwh

Default Boiling?

I've heard about boiling Nylon bolts to reduce their brittle nature and to regain some flexibility. I guess it adds moisture to the nylon.

Anyone else heard about his?
Old 03-22-2002, 01:31 PM
Nick Hudson
My Feedback: (138)

Been flying over 14 years now and unless it's giant it geets nylon! I like the fact that a bolt sheers on a stressed landing and not the plane.
Old 03-24-2002, 12:19 AM
Ted Farmin

Nothing said about the diameter of the bolts. 1/4" nylon for the
wings should work well. Have been using them for 20 plus years
and haven't lost one in the air yet.
Hey I'm new to this game--How do you get the smily faces on your threads?