Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Harassment of wildlife

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Harassment of wildlife

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 06:05 PM
D Mclaughlin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harassment of wildlife

Here in Mississippi it is illegal to harass wildlife i.e. buzzards or hawks while flying.. You know trying to make them run away from planes ....Anyone ever got any tickets from this in other parts of this great land [sm=angry.gif]
Old 01-20-2005, 06:12 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Harassment of wildlife

Here the fish and game just shoot you down with a shotgun
Old 01-20-2005, 06:24 PM
D Mclaughlin

ha... if they start that here on my 33% H9 extra someone is gona take home a bad place on there head...[sm=punching.gif]
Old 01-20-2005, 07:41 PM
rcjon

Why does everything that's really fun have to be illegal?
Old 01-20-2005, 07:42 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: D Mclaughlin

ha... if they start that here on my 33% H9 extra someone is gona take home a bad place on there head...[sm=punching.gif]
And what are you armed with? And how do you utilize such weaponry while flying????? And who is your lawyer????????

jess
Old 01-20-2005, 08:10 PM
D Mclaughlin

And what are you armed with? And how do you utilize such weaponry while flying????? And who is your lawyer????????

This far out in the county none of that matters.........
Old 01-20-2005, 09:37 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey wait a minute....I've been to Oxford and it isn't THAT far from civilization [sm=lol.gif]

Jerry

PS My son is currently living there - going to school - and he flys a Shock Flyer almost every day - last week a Hawk 'ATTACKED' his plane and the final score was 1 to 1: One dead hawk and one totaled Shock Flyer! But as my son said, " He started it "
Old 01-20-2005, 10:10 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you want to harass wildlife? Just gives RC flyers a bad name and makes it that much more difficult to obtain and keep places to fly.

There are three clubs in Massachusetts (our's being one of them) that fly on state wildlife management land. If one of our members started harassing wildlife you can bet we'd harass HIM.
Dennis-
Old 01-20-2005, 10:39 PM
D Mclaughlin

Why would you want to harass wildlife? Not trying to,,, Just posed the question...
Old 01-20-2005, 10:53 PM
D Mclaughlin

[PS My son is currently living there - going to school
great thats all we need more students for disturbing the piece.

just kidding, they don't make any noise around 7:00AM , when I like to tune on my zdz[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 01-20-2005, 10:55 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

I have an Ornithopter and use it to harass the Canadian Geese that like to walk and leave "deposits" every other step. One fella at out flying field was chasing the geese with hie heli and almost put it into a tree. He pulled it out so close that the rotor wash was whipping the tree leaves around. Everyone there had a case of the puckers there for a second LOL.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Daryl_y

In the limited amount of "wildlife harasment" I have done I would not think you could ever "mid-air" one, birds esp the raptors (hawks,eagle,vultures) of course can't fly as fast as an r/c plane but they are much more manuvarable and will simply fold their wings and dive out of the way before you can really get that close to them. So INMO it would take a pretty dumb bird to let you hit him. Rc planes atleast in my area (Missouri) do seem to atract the attention of vultures who circle the sky over our field at what they think is a safe distance
Old 01-20-2005, 11:44 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: D Mclaughlin

This far out in the county none of that matters.........
It does if they are badder than you[>:]
Old 01-21-2005, 07:24 AM
WCB

What about the wildlife harassing ME? I've had several hawks take a liking to my plane and chase me all over the place. I bet they wondering "what did that bird have for lunch, it sure is passing some loud gas."
Old 01-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Deadeye

This summer we had 3 hawks harrassing US! If they weren't dive bombing the planes, they were dive bombing us. It's a little un-nerving to be innocently flying, and suddenly hear a 'WOOSH' as the hawk zooms a foot over your head with those razor sharp talons sticking out. They totaled a glider, and poked holes in another wing. I finally had enough of there crap, so I put up the trusty Cor-Star (try to hurt that!) and chased them around. It took two weeks of harrasing them nearly every night before they finally left the area. Lucky for them, because they weren't too far away from getting lead poisoning.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:27 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I believe it is only considered harassment once the bird has asked you to stop the behavior.

Many airports around this country and others employ various techniques to control bird activities.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Montague

Years ago I was flying at a field that had a couple of hawks that liked to go after the smaller gliders that some guys like to fly. I'd occasionally fly "CAP" with my glow plane, just staying in the general area of the gliders, usually between the glider and the hawks. That's all I ever had to do though.

I have buzzed geese on the runway at my current field with a GWS A-10. No exposed moving parts, so if I'd actually hit one I doubt it would have done anything to the goose at all. But it got them walking off the runway, which was the point.

I also saw a guy at my field do a low pass off the edge of the runway, and he flushed a deer. The deer jumped up out of the tall grass and on to the runway, ran around in a circle on the runway and dove back in to the tall grass. Totally accidental, and it took us quite a while to stop laughing at that one.

Once or twice I've flown near flocks of starlings. These huge flocks of small black birds do some really cool looking twists and turns when you get near them, but I don't think I could hit one if I tried, and I wouldn't want to even if I could.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Broken

CAP --- LOL

I never thought of it that way...

We had a incident last year with a million bird flyby (migration) that came between us and our planes for a bit. It was downright spooky. No one wanted to dive through the mass for fear of total destruction. They were so low that thousands died on a nearby freeway..
Old 01-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Breakstuff5050

I use to chase crows w\ my super sportster, i never could get real close to them no matter how hard i tried. But a couple times when i was at an IMAC contest there was some really close calls.

It seems like when you are not trying to catch them you'll never get them, but when you are trying to avoid them they get in your way.

Adam
Old 01-21-2005, 06:04 PM
coony2787
My Feedback: (33)

Just tryin t o make them paddle a little bit . I think a buzzered once puked on a fellow flyers plane when he was chasin it. There was something nasty on the plane when it landed anyway.

Chad
Old 01-21-2005, 06:21 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I once had some big bird fly 'in formation' with my Sterling TiriPacer ( all white wing, red fuse).....maybe 'he' was trolling

Jerry
Old 01-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Stick Jammer

When it comes to geese in the Midwest, I say harass them all you want if they are encroaching your flying area. The Canadian goose population has exploded to ridiculous numbers here due to all the residential ponds and water retention areas created in the last 20 years. They don't even fly south for the winter anymore, I don't think they even know how. The DNR should find a way to utilize this resource to feed the hungry before we are all ankle deep in goose s#*t. [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 01-21-2005, 08:20 PM
D Mclaughlin

ORIGINAL: Stick Jammer

When it comes to geese in the Midwest, I say harass them all you want if they are encroaching your flying area. The Canadian goose population has exploded to ridiculous numbers here due to all the residential ponds and water retention areas created in the last 20 years. They don't even fly south for the winter anymore, I don't think they even know how. The DNR should find a way to utilize this resource to feed the hungry before we are all ankle deep in goose s#*t. [sm=drowning.gif]

those things are down here also
Old 01-21-2005, 09:08 PM
BillS

The geese in the pond have already judged my flying ability. They watch intently but never fly away. However last year one got lead poisoning and they disappeared for a few weeks.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:22 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about the other way around?!

Last fall my brother got "downed" by a very territorial red tailed hawk! I was teaching him how to fly in a nice, oval track pattern, and turned to the others to say "he's doing pretty good, huh?" and when I looked back, the hawk and his Champ were going round and round! He was low, and trying to get used to landing approaches, (my bro that is, not the hawk ) and he got mixed up and dumped it into the tall grass!
We were laughing so hard that we couldn't really react or do much of anything because it was so sudden. I didn't see the hawk beforehand, and he/she must've swooped down on the plane and attacked, because it only took a few seconds!

The hawks nest is probably a good half-three quarters of a mile away in a big light stand. We fly in a deserted section of an old Air Force base, and there are these HUGE light towers...We never EVER come anywhere near the towers either? Hawk must have been in a bad mood that day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.