Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How long can fuel be stored??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How long can fuel be stored??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 04:23 PM
SkyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long can fuel be stored??

Greetings R/C Folks,

I have a couple gallons of glow fuel that has been stored for over a couple years. One gallon has never been opened, the other has been and is about half full.

Does this stuff go bad? If so, how long does it take for it to be unusable? Will it hurt anything if I use it to break in engines?

Also, are there any special methods to preserving this stuff?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Stick Jammer

This is dependant on many things including temperature, sunlight, and moisture. If kept sealed and at moderated temperatures the fuels will last for 3-5 years at the same constitution. The limiting factor on life is the ability of the nitromethane to migrate from the package thereby reducing the nitromethane percentage. The proper storage for the fuels is away from any direct heat sources including: hot garages, water heaters, and direct sunlight. Do not store the fuels on concrete floors, as the concrete, when cold, will act as a heat sink and cause the fuels to become cold creating a vacuum in the bottle. This is the look when your fuel bottle appears to be drawn in. If the vacuum causes the seal to give way moisture can be drawn into the bottle degrading the fuel.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:51 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Shake it and see if there is any white precipitate in it. If there is, it is gone. If it is still clear, use it.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:46 AM
zoomzoooie

I had some Omega fuel stored for almost 10 years!
The most important thing is to keep it dry. If you suspect moisture, place it in a warm place to dry out the moisture when you are going to use it. I lived on the rainy west coast during the storage of my fuel. Keep the plug and the lid on tight, keep it in the dark. Now I live in a dessert like area.

I just started using it last year and have had no problems. I ran 15% in my new OS.46LA and in an old worn out ST.75. I ran 10% in the ST.75 when I ran out of 15% and it still ran great with a very low smooth idle.

I would say it's safe to say you can store fuel a very long time when it is stored well.

ZZ