Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 tach instructions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hanger 9 tach instructions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 AM
kid chuckles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 tach instructions

Lost mine and can't seem to find the instructions anywhere at home or on the net.
It is a mini digital tach fron hanger 9, has one button on the side at top.
It is for 2,3, and 4 blade props.
I need to know how to read it. Do i put it on two blade (thats what i have) and just read it. Or have it off and when i push the button it goes to two blade from the off position. When I have it on 2 blade it starts out at 360 without pushing the button. When I push it while on 2 blade it just goes to 3 so I am thinking I just hold it up near the prop while on 2 and not push the button. Thanks anyone in advance that might have this particular Tach or know how it works correctly anyway.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Spitfire222

Default RE: Hanger 9 tach instructions

The button should cycle through the different prop types an on/off. I dont have the exact same tach, but I have the Hangar 9 Tach/Voltmeter. Mine also has one button. To use it, keep pressing the button to get the to setting you want.

i.e.

Press once > On, tach for 2 blade prop

Press again > tach for 3 blade prop

Press again >tach for 4 blade prop

Press again >Voltmeter for my version, off for yours

Press again > Off for my version

And yes, when its on the setting you want, you just hold it up the prop (FROM BEHIND THE PROP!!) and read off the RPM. No need to push a button when reading the RPMs, it just reads it when the setting is chosen.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:22 AM
kid chuckles

I think so Spitfire thanks I didn't know if while it was on 2 blade if i pushed it again to make it read but that just changes it to 3. So i suppose you just hold it up to the prop while on 2 blade and read it. Thanks again that is the way mine works also good job.
PS mine seems to fluctuate some and is it best behind the prop or in front? I like the behind (safer feeling for sure)
Old 08-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Spitfire222

Mine also seems to fluctuate, but I'm not sure if its because the tach is having a difficult time picking up the prop (APC props are all but invisible when spinning), or if its just the low quality of the tach. Personally, I think its the latter as one of m friends has tached the same prop with his tach and it definitely doesnt fluctuate nearly as much as mine.

Theoretically, the tach can pick up the prop from the front or behind, as long as it sees something spinning. However, as you guessed, safety is the main reason. No sense needlessly being in front of the prop when the tach works just as well from the front. (Excluding any paint or something that makes that front of the prop a bit easier for the tach to "see")
Old 08-26-2008, 11:52 AM
kid chuckles

Thanks that is what i needed to know. Happy flying [8D]
Old 08-26-2008, 12:20 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

The way these tachs work isnt exactly by seeing something spinning.... It just measures light. When a blade passes in front of the meter, the light dims, and the tach works by counting how fast that happens. Therefor, you will get the best results if you orient yourself so the sun is shining through the prop onto the meter. If the sun is behind you, there will be less contrast between the light and dark, and the meter will fluctuate more.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:21 AM
kid chuckles

So in the dark is not the best time lol. Thanks again will make sure and keep sun in front of me checking the RPM.