Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

High wing Tornado Plane 40 size Help Me Identify

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

High wing Tornado Plane 40 size Help Me Identify

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
jes36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High wing Tornado Plane 40 size Help Me Identify

Hello,
I'm having problems determining the CG for my High wing Tornado Plane 40 size. It's Blue and White with a yellow underside. Does anyone recognize who the manufacture is or better yet if you have the manual do you mind telling me where the CG is supposed to be on this plane. I've flown it twice once with the battery all the way in the nose and it felt extremely nose heavy kept wanting to stall. The second flight I put the batter in the middle and same flight characteristics.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:19 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: High wing Tornado Plane 40 size Help Me Identify

If it wants to stall, that would be tail heavy. Nose heavy is when you are holding lots of elevator to keep it level. You may also trying to fly it to slow. I have no idea of what plane you have, but from what you say, I say it is tail heavy.

Dru
Old 09-08-2008, 11:54 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

From that descriptions its a one in ten thousand chance for identification. A picture or two would help.

Ok making the assumption it may be some sort of trainer then I would suggest you position the battery so the airplane balances level on your fingertips at the quarter chord. That is one quarter of the distance from the leading to trailing edge of the wing including ailerons, back from the leading edge.

If you are trying to teach yourself to fly this unknown then your chances for success are minimal. You need to seek out help from you local flying club or another experiancd flyer.

John
Old 09-09-2008, 07:13 AM
jes36

I'll see if I can post some pics. I'm posting for him, I'll see if he can chime in but I think pics would be best bet. It's definatly not a trainer it's more like a pattern plane. He's flown it twice and almost crashed it twice.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:11 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: jes36

It's definatly not a trainer it's more like a pattern plane. He's flown it twice and almost crashed it twice.

jes36 then it is even more important for you to steer this fellow into getting proper help and possibly the airplane is totally unsuited for learning, even more likely to end in disaster and unrewarding experiance for him.

As for CG 25% Mac (Mac stands for mean aerodynamic chord or 'average chord') is still the safest place to start with an unknown airplane. If this airplane has a tapered leading edge and/or a tapered trailing edge then a very simple and effective method to measure your chord is averaging. Measure the chord from the leading edge to the trailing edge (including the ailerons) half way out between the fuselage and the wingtip. Now simply a quarter of the this measurement back from the leading edge half way out to the wing tip is the point to balance at and its projected straight into the fuselage to mark you balance point. Very simple and in most case very effective.

John

Old 09-09-2008, 10:15 AM
jetmech05

If it's a trainer type I'd set CG at the wing spar.....nose heavy airplanes don't try and stall.....
Good Flying